Every premier league game this weekend to play French national anthem

Where do we draw the line? Where was the PL support for the Russians, or Turks or Lebanese or Nigerians, why don't we sing Star Spangled Banner after the next high school massacre?

It's not a football problem, the tribute at Wembley was perfect as we were playing France. Now it feels like a competition of show emotion. Scudamore has done this for marketing reasons, nothing more and its more see through than a window.

A football match between City and Liverpool isn't the place for this but I said earlier in the thread, we are moving towards a world where every other minute of the game will be a minutes applause for a lost fan or player, and with a different minutes silence before each game for a tragedy somewhere in the world. It never used to be needed, just the minutes silence at New Year, but this is the Facebook age where one upmanship now includes competitive grieving.

Agree with the sentiments of this post - however there is a football connotation to this - the Stade de France attack to which the attrocites in other areas of Paris were linked.
If Anfield had been attacked - we'd all be singing You'll Never Walk Alone", and I dare say if there had been attacks against football targets in the countries you mention - we'd be showing our respects in some way to them too.

Last edited:
Agree with the sentiments of this post - however there is a footabll connotation to this - the Stade de France attack to which the attrocites in other areas of Paris were linked.
If Anfield had been attacked - we'd all be singing You'll Never Walk Alone", and I dare say if there had been attacks against football targets in the countries you mention - we'd be showing our respects in some way to them too.

I don't think anyone disputes that the football world should show its respects. I just think that the tributes at Wembley did that perfectly well for the country as a whole.

Agree with the sentiments of this post - however there is a footabll connotation to this - the Stade de France attack to which the attrocites in other areas of Paris were linked.
A minute's silence is appropriate, no need to kick the arse out of it like this,God forbid Anfield being attacked...they jump to start shit like this at the best of times....

A mark of respect has already been shown by the Football Association at international level to a global audience. Football has shown it's solidarity. We move on.

I think it'd be the same if it was Spain, Germany, Italy etc. It's impossible to ignore that Western Europe exists as a mostly similar unit.

What is the line then and why do you draw it?

I'd certainly draw the line at a stadium full of 54,000 English fans singing "Deutschland Deutschland uber alles". Wouldn't you ?

Why is the greedy Premier League doing this when they don't respect their own fans with stupid prices/kick off times/lack of space for fans etc? A football branding organisation should not get involved, just leave it to the FA.

It really doesn't mean that at all. That grossly over simplifies the political and societal implications of the chosen response. If we wear a poppy are we saying a soldier's life means more?

I think it'd be the same if it was Spain, Germany, Italy etc. It's impossible to ignore that Western Europe exists as a mostly similar unit.

What is the line then and why do you draw it?
We didn't have the Spanish national anthem after the Madrid train bombings.

Agree with the sentiments of this post - however there is a football connotation to this - the Stade de France attack to which the attrocites in other areas of Paris were linked.
There was also a music gig targeted, will all bands playing in gigs play the French national anthem this weekend?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.