Ex City Youth Players

Neville Kneville said:
Bilboblue said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
Trippier is gonna end a top class right back he was brilliant against the rags, especially those crosses

Love him back if Zabba can't get his act together

Maffeo already better imo.

Hard to say Maffeo is already better as he is only 17 and lacks experience but I certainly wouldn't want Trippier to come back and get in the way. I believe he will be better certainly as a defender although it will be hard to be much better than Tripp as an attacking full back as his crossing ability is excellent.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Neville Kneville said:
Bilboblue said:
Love him back if Zabba can't get his act together

Hard to say Maffeo is already better as he is only 17 and lacks experience but I certainly wouldn't want Trippier to come back and get in the way. I believe he will be better certainly as a defender although it will be hard to be much better than Tripp as an attacking full back as his crossing ability is excellent.
With Zab just turned 30 and Sagna 32 in a few days is there not room for both Maffeo and Trippier (not immediately of course) ? Maffeo would require some experience on loan before joining the 1st team anyway.

ColinLee said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
Neville Kneville said:

With Zab just turned 30 and Sagna 32 in a few days is there not room for both Maffeo and Trippier (not immediately of course) ? Maffeo would require some experience on loan before joining the 1st team anyway.

It’s a long road to step up from youth football to PL standard. Trippier is doing really well, getting better every week. It would be great to see him back one day but he still has a long way to go yet. I think if Burnley where to go down he would have a decision to make, he’d get a good chance of a move back to a PL team but he needs to be careful, he would be better off playing every week in the Championship for Burnley than being a fringe player in a mid table PL team. You would hope he has and agent with the long term in mind.

Maffeo will have to do it on loan first and prove he can do it at senior level, probably a couple of loans to move up through the tiers of football, a long long way to go for him. Fingers crossed.

Gaudion M said:
ColinLee said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:

It’s a long road to step up from youth football to PL standard. Trippier is doing really well, getting better every week. It would be great to see him back one day but he still has a long way to go yet. I think if Burnley where to go down he would have a decision to make, he’d get a good chance of a move back to a PL team but he needs to be careful, he would be better off playing every week in the Championship for Burnley than being a fringe player in a mid table PL team. You would hope he has and agent with the long term in mind.

Maffeo will have to do it on loan first and prove he can do it at senior level, probably a couple of loans to move up through the tiers of football, a long long way to go for him. Fingers crossed.

Imo Trippier was nowhere near the standard of Maffao at the same age, altough no mug at all, just a big step below Maffeo at pretty much everything. Trippier was a less talented, slower, less wel built, English version. I don't think Trippier is very good defensively for Burnley even now & gets hopelessly caught out quite regularly misjudging the pace of passes etc. He is a good crosser of the ball but so imo is Maffeo & I don't believe Trippier's crossing was that special at 17.

I recon 6 months in Burnley's team for Maffeo, & they wouldn't remember Trippier.

Neville Kneville said:
Gaudion M said:
ColinLee said:

Imo Trippier was nowhere near the standard of Maffao at the same age, altough no mug at all, just a big step below Maffeo at pretty much everything. Trippier was a less talented, slower, less wel built, English version. I don't think Trippier is very good defensively for Burnley even now & gets hopelessly caught out quite regularly misjudging the pace of passes etc. He is a good crosser of the ball but so imo is Maffeo & I don't believe Trippier's crossing was that special at 17.

I recon 6 months in Burnley's team for Maffeo, & they wouldn't remember Trippier.

Im not having that trippier was one of our best youth players and stood out very time i went to watch the youth team. You can't really compare them anyway until Maffeo is the same age. Trippier will be a top class rb. No way would maffeo be ahead of trapper now or in the future. Players like him, strurridge, johnson are better players than what we have now at the same age.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
Neville Kneville said:
Gaudion M said:

Im not having that trippier was one of our best youth players and stood out very time i went to watch the youth team. You can't really compare them anyway until Maffeo is the same age. Trippier will be a top class rb. No way would maffeo be ahead of trapper now or in the future. Players like him, strurridge, johnson are better players than what we have now at the same age.

Sturridge is the only one who would have looked quite special in the current setup... he was an anomaly and we should have kept him. Ireland, Onuoha, Barton, even SWP (who turned out to be a flash-in-the-pan with 2 good seasons in his career, as much as it hurts to say) would have been quickly found out. Michael Johnson, with a healthy body and mind, may have had a chance. It's VERY VERY VERY clear that the standard of our academy and its talent is higher now than ever before. Back then it was an academy built for a mid-table side producing the occasional gem, now it is full of players who would probably already be in the first team squad if it was 2004-07. Our training standards are up there with some of Europe's best now and we will see the results in the years to come.

Trippier is a decent right-back, but only decent. He was excellent in the Championship, but in the land of the giants he's in line with many OK/decent right-backs in the league like Carl Jenkinson. Ings is the one standing out at Burnley and that's why Ings, not Trippier, is being linked with a lot of clubs. If Burnley go down, you'll probably see teams like Sunderland and Villa go for Trippier, not United and City. He's almost 25 and not going to be 'top class' - he may get an England cap if he's lucky. He doesn't have the technical ability for most top sides and his pass success rate is just over 60% - 20% worse than any player in the City squad. Maffeo, if he continues on his current course, should hopefully end up better.

Sturridge was not a better player than Ambrose or Barker for example.

Sure he had pace & talent, but he was greedy, often didn't see passes (as he doesn't now) & was often injured (as now). Nowhere near as intelligent as a player as these lads. Also his workrate was poor & he used to disappear from games for a large amount of time standing around, then when he got the ball, he would take on 3 players & lose it. In fact when I think back, yeah he had some great moments, but he was well behind Ambrose for instance.

Johnson was better at shooting from distance than many of our current midfielders, a good passer, although not better, but short on energy & lacked pace. That became very evident when he played in the England games. The comparisons to Bell, were an absolute joke.

Tippier was ok for the standard of where we were at the time, but absolutely nowhere even close to what we have now. And he's 24 years old, so he'd better hurry up.

Ireland wouldn't get in ourU16s now.

Neville Kneville said:
Sturridge was not a better player than Ambrose or Barker for example.

Sure he had pace & talent, but he was greedy, often didn't see passes (as he doesn't now) & was often injured (as now). Nowhere near as intelligent as a player as these lads. Also his workrate was poor & he used to disappear from games for a large amount of time standing around, then when he got the ball, he would take on 3 players & lose it. In fact when I think back, yeah he had some great moments, but he was well behind Ambrose for instance.

Johnson was better at shooting from distance than many of our current midfielders, a good passer, although not better, but short on energy & lacked pace. That became very evident when he played in the England games. The comparisons to Bell, were an absolute joke.

Tippier was ok for the standard of where we were at the time, but absolutely nowhere even close to what we have now. And he's 24 years old, so he'd better hurry up.

Ireland wouldn't get in ourU16s now.

Sturrdige was greedy at the time, but he is with out doubt one of the most talented players in the country right now. He's always had the potential and goal scoring threat. He is right now miles ahead of anything we have. If he was here now he would be pushing for the first team. It was a huge mistake to get rid of him,

Injury ruined him ( Johnson) , but on pure talent I think he was our best young player we've had.

Overall the academy is better for the number of quality players we are producing, but i think players like richards, johnson, sturridge are better than what we are producing now. Thats just my opinion btw.

Micah was exceptional as a defender, but not as good a footballer as the kids now. Nowhere near.

Sturridge is 25 & has been playing Premier League for years. Ambrose is 17 & only just started in the reserves. You would expect Sturridge to be a bit ahead.

In the days when people like Sturridge & Johnson were playing at City, half the kids teams they played against were like pub teams, with big daft fuckers who could barely pass a football lumping it forward in the air & running after it. Indeed several such teams knocked us out of the youth cup.

Kids like Sturridge & Johnson were head and shoulders above most of the opposition in those days, but nowardays even the shit teams are a much higher standard than back then. Half of these 18 year olds we have now, would have been playing in our first team back then & starring in it.

Just gotta hope Barker isn't another Lee Croft haven't we? Or even Weiss. Talented but a waste in the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.