Excellent Gundogan article in New York Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great interview. It provides a real insight into a footballer's life. It's a shame we never see this sort of quality in UK sports journalism. All we get over here is mindless drivel..Pep says this or Jose says that or a so-called Twitter storm!
Was just thinking the same myself...

Haha, unfortunately I was some way off (in terms of ability and also location) - Luton, Peterborough, Northampton and Cambridge Utd were the ones looking at me. Funnily enough, the injury made me technically a better player - touch, positioning and passing got so much better as I couldn't rely on pace and power any more - but I just lost so much strength and couldn't handle the pace of games at that level (I was also soft - one mistake or being moaned at, and my game just fell apart). I guess that's why injuries like ACL can ruin careers - the loss in physicality and the anxiety over it happening again makes it so hard to compete and last 90 minutes.

Another thing I learned from that experience and playing at a low-end semi-pro level in my late teens was that the defining attribute pro-level/academy players had (aside from talent) was aggression. Their will to win (terrible losers) was immense and the way they tried to win the ball was ferocious. I've seen lads who ability-wise were far better than those I knew who got to academy level and higher, but they lacked mental strength and aggression. Even someone like Gundogan, who appears very calm and mild, will still have a huge amount of aggression (albeit controlled). You can't get close to that level without it, nor can you overcome an injury like ACL. He's a top player and a top bloke, and I really hope he can fulfill his potential with us.

Fair enough. You make a lot of valid points. It's nice to hear the perspective of someone who was once looking to have a career playing football. You are right, very different locations. I went to Bedes with some of the City lads and united (Lawlor, Gunn, Michael Keane) to name a few. Lawlor would tell me how it all went down. He got injured a few times but he had a good support system around him. Seemed close to his family.

Nonetheless, when it comes to the players, I never give any grief (maybe a little when it's Bravo, or Raheem fluffing a shot, or former Aguero holding on to the ball too long). I know how difficult it is. I think 'fans' forget that they're human because of the money they receive. At the end of the day I'm always happy when I watch beautiful football no matter what time City play or when.

Onwards and upwards for Gundogan. Hopefully we see him tonight.

Really good quality article, shame we have to trawl American sites to get such insightful journalism.

Really good read. What a world away it seems from Lakey's ACL injury. 25 years and the progress in surgery, treatment, rehab, sports science, support. Gundogan seems like a lovely man, I really hope his career here takes off, he is a special player and has earned it

Really good read. What a world away it seems from Lakey's ACL injury. 25 years and the progress in surgery, treatment, rehab, sports science, support. Gundogan seems like a lovely man, I really hope his career here takes off, he is a special player and has earned it

I was thinking of Lake whilst reading it. Looked forward to getting the Pink Final to see if there was any news of him returning. Such a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.