excessive bank charges

There was definitely a ruling a while ago detailing how much banks were allowed to charge for a letter (automatically sent out, no doubt) or phone call. I remember the period when you could just print a sample letter of Money Saving Expert and they would automatically pay out. That might be the best place to ask.

Well that's long gone.
Even Martin Lewis now says you can go through the process of claiming back BUT you are unlikely to succeed unless you can prove hardship.
Nevertheless I'd start with their template letters.

As Gaudion has said but you must put in the letter that you where not told of any of these charges, if they cant prove that you knew about said charges then they have to pay them back, unless you where and you signed to say so, i had something similar and claimed all my costs back told them they had miss sold the account package and they refunded all costs

I work in the world of finance, I used to get involved with this sort of thing for big corporates. Unfortunately the fees involved for you are not worth getting professional help for but you can do this yourself quite easily. First step is to set out a complaint in a letter, make it simple and professional - state that there are material errors in what they have charged you for and demand full repayment of all charges (give a time period for the charges). Then state that if they do not refund all the charges demand a full breakdown of fees and interest and a SAR.

The aim here is to get them to pay you off to make you go away. They probably won’t so be ready for 2 or 3 letters. When they reject the initial complaint resend and reject their reasons for rejecting the complaint, continue on the same themes ask to escalate and keep an eye on how long they take to respond – if they go over any of their commitments to respond within a timeframe point them out to them. All this gets monitored and it’s a big issue for them.

thank you,,,before i read your post i had been on the phone to the financial ombudsman who have taken on the complaint this morning, they have email'd me the complaint form to fill in and they are going to contact the lender on my behalf and ask for a full refund. i'm aware of the full amount of charges applied so should i still launch a SAR or leave it in the hands of the ombudsmen?
many thanks for your help with this

thank you,,,before i read your post i had been on the phone to the financial ombudsman who have taken on the complaint this morning, they have email'd me the complaint form to fill in and they are going to contact the lender on my behalf and ask for a full refund. i'm aware of the full amount of charges applied so should i still launch a SAR or leave it in the hands of the ombudsmen?
many thanks for your help with this

The ombudsman make a ruling on a complaint they take on. I'm not sure if they are just taking a look or taking it on. Either way just wait and see what comes of it.

I`m certain a fair few years ago the banks had to repay the original excessive payments as I got back something like £3k,due to my financial circumstances changing.
Can anyone confirm this actually happened ... and no it had nothing to do with PPI.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.