FA Cup attendances

law74

Lots of talk yesterday and this morning about the crowds (or at some grounds lack of them) at the games.
I remember when many clubs had a higher than average attendance for cup ties, & there were some great crowds at games (a non-league side taking 5,000 fans to an away game being one example), but when so many clubs send out weakened teams & still charge high prices for a ticket, is it any wonder fans let their feet do the talking and stay away

Is football losing its appeal to the masses, we've reached saturation point in tv, ticket prices for the average man are extortionate, the bigger clubs City included seem to think 10k day trippers will bring more to the coffers than long term season ticket holders. I'm surprised it took so long tbh the recession is nearly 10 years old now I'm not poor and I'd rather spend my on other things if I can catch the football on a stream.

Funny thing is just heard Martin Glenn chairman at the FA on 5Live saying football is in rude health - he has the Sudamore Syndrome in that he is happy that they can sell the FA Cup for loads of cash into foreign territories then whats the problem? Money uber alles as per.

I saw we were allocated 4,900 tickets for the West Ham game but when I watched the match on iplayer they mentioned a few times that City took 9,000.
Did the club buy extra?

Lots of talk yesterday and this morning about the crowds (or at some grounds lack of them) at the games.
I remember when many clubs had a higher than average attendance for cup ties, & there were some great crowds at games (a non-league side taking 5,000 fans to an away game being one example), but when so many clubs send out weakened teams & still charge high prices for a ticket, is it any wonder fans let their feet do the talking and stay away
Which games are you talking about?

I presume you're referring to Hull - if you are they were protesting about the Allam family.

Not just Hull as I can understand their concerns about their "owners"

Which games are you talking about?
About the attendances in general.
It used to be one of the highlights of the year, but now has lost a lot of its appeal with many fans
Norwich, Stoke, Watford all well down on average league attendance & I'm sure if we looked in depth and lot of other clubs would be the same

From when? What previous period are you referring to?
Certainly as late as the late 1980's & if we go back further, our record home attendance is an fa cup tie, the highest attendance at the swamp is an fa cup tie (between Wolves and Grimsby iirc) & many other clubs will be the same, so for many years, the cup was more attractive to fans than the league, however now it's the other way round (& for some appears to be an irrelevance, or an inconvenience).
For me, it's sad to see what used to be such a fantastic competition relegated in people's affections in this way, & was wondering why others thought this has happened, or to point out how it is still the same competition it always was.
(I also note the sparse crowd at the Cardiff game on now, & Birmingham seemed to have about 5,000 less than normal despite 4,500 travelling fans, which I doubt Brighton or Brentford brought to St Andrews).
Not a slight about any club, but about the competition in general

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.