FA Cup attendances

Fair enough, although if you look at our attendance v Liverpool, who were the biggest draw of the day, in the quarter final at Maine Road in '88, the crowd was 44,000, some 30,000 less than we got for a league game three years earlier :-)
Poor crowd's in that 87/88 cup run Huddersfield home 24,000
Blackpool home 26,000
Plymouth home 29,000 then the Liverpool game.

Spot on just had a quick look 15,16 and 17,000 crowd's at Maine Rd very poor.
I couldn't find attendance for that season but went to all home games and a few aways, we weren't at our finest and crowds were pretty crap think that was the 10-1 season against Huddersfield there weren't that many there. from what you put looks like attendances in cup we actually better than in the league,course this was before we had the premier league stuffed down our throats.

Last edited:
I couldn't find attendance for that season but went to all home games and a few aways, we weren't at our finest and crowds were pretty crap think that was the 10-1 season against Huddersfield there weren't that many there. from what you put looks like attendances in cup we actually better than in the league,course this was before we had the premier league stuffed down our throats.
Yes that was the 10-1 season only 19,583 witnessed it,I missed that one was working in Bude Cornwall.

Spot on just had a quick look 15,16 and 17,000 crowd's at Maine Rd very poor.

You always need to look at the other crowds of the time before commenting like this I find.

In the Division One seasons of the 80s, we were a top 4 supported side and in Division 2 we were 1st or at times 2nd largest in terms of attendance.

Crowds in general were a lot lower. Spurs who were much better than us at the time got lower crowds than we did in Division One.

Remember when the F.A. Cup final was the only domestic game shown on live TV? Winning it was almost bigger than winning the league.

Almost 150,000 watched the three 5th round games between Bolton and Newcastle in 1976. 42,000 turned up to see the second replay at Elland Road in mid-week:

Fair enough, although if you look at our attendance v Liverpool, who were the biggest draw of the day, in the quarter final at Maine Road in '88, the crowd was 44,000, some 30,000 less than we got for a league game three years earlier :-)
City did not get a 14000 crowd in in 1985 in any league game. The lowest league crowd we got in the entire 80s was 15000 v Millwall and I think possibly a similar attendance v Leicester ( off top of my head) think outv lowest crowd in the 85-86 season was 18/1900.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.