FA Cup revamp!

B B

BLUEMATT23

Reading today in a couple of papers that the FA are looking at revamping the age old format of the the FA Cup due to dwindling attendances, teams not fielding strong teams & the fact that teams now prioritise other competitions ahead of it.

On the agenda is the scrapping of replays, games played in midweek, seeding of the top sides & potential byes for the teams involved in Europe. Maybe also a champions league place for the winners.

So Im just wandering what the forum thinks of these ideas?
Personally I think it's time the old girl was given a good revamp & new format to boost numbers & make it popular again. I'm all for no replays & a seeding system.

fucking disgraceful from the f.a.

all that needs to happen is clubs giving tickets at reasonable prices.

the big clubs should still come in at the 3rd round.

the draws should still be made out of the hat.

semi finals should be played at a neutral ground and not at that shithole in london.

The trouble is that giving the winners a Champions League place means one less for the top of the premiership.

So if we finished fourth and Birmingham, say, won the cup they would go through to Europe.

m20-benny said:

semi finals should be played at a neutral ground and not at that shithole in london.
I agree with everything except calling wembley a shithole, it isn`t I`ve only been to 5 world cup final stadia and its by far the best

JULES said:
m20-benny said:

I agree with everything except calling wembley a shithole, it isn`t I`ve only been to 5 world cup final stadia and its by far the best

The point here is that the semis were moved to Wembley for the convenience of the FA and the Knobs who run it.

It was never done for the clubs or the fans.

The reason it's become less popular is fans take it less seriously. They take it less seriously because the 'top 4' clubs take it less seriously. Those clubs take less seriously because it makes little money compared to the CL and damages their chances of a top 4 finish/ good CL run.
In other words it's a victim of the huge profits in the CL.

It doesn't have a chance unless this gap is bridged. Best thing all round is for there to be less money made by being in the CL, but that isn't going to happen.
Second choice would be a CL place for winners. Can't see that happening either.
Shame. The FA Cup used to be a great competition.

beziersblue said:
JULES said:

The point here is that the semis were moved to Wembley for the convenience of the FA and the Knobs who run it.

It was never done for the clubs or the fans.

90000 three times rather than half that at provincial neutral venues - prob no Emirates or Swamp - and the FArce are quids in! They'll or We'll have paid for that stadium in no time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.