FA Cup revamp!

Giving the winners a passport to the Champions league would certainly higher its profile..

This every time, I would also look at regional games up to quarter or semi final, saves on travelling and cost and usually local or regional derbies would attract fans.

Maybe a possible compromise solution is;

-for the third round to be seeded so that no prem/championship teams play each other. This lets 'bigger' teams put out second 11 if wanted, but also almost guarentees a 'big' club for a small one, hopefully meaning more money for them.
-No repays, so the 'big' clubs don't get congestion, but take a bigger chance of being knocked out by a 'smaller' club.
-CL (or possibly Europa) place is about the only thing that will catch the attention of the big clubs (I don't mean top4 - or in this case top3) as the likes of Villa/Everton etc will have a chance of CL despite the FFPR.

This is about the only way to increase interest in the FA Cup for prem/champ teams, and therefore for competition as a whole.

I'm all for scrapping replays and settling things on the day of the original tie.

Don't like the idea of seeding or giving byes, just keep it an open draw.

I'm not in favour of giving a Champions league place for winning a cup (I know not everyone in the Champions League currently is a champion, so its name should be changed, but at least the most consistently high quality teams are in there).

Move the semi's from Wembley (I know the FA won't/can't do this, for financial reasons, but it takes something away from the Final).

Revamp has already started tbh, some sad rag has given them 3 points for the win saturday ...Arf!!

why not start with uefa?

i've thought long and hard about this and have an idea that just could work. the champions league could be reduced to include just the champions of each country. it would be two legged knockout from beginning to end. this would give the likes of red star belgrade and steaua bucharest more chance of glory. obviously, many european teams would be put out so to compensate, they could qualify for the europa league. this however would be re-vamped into a straight two-legged knockout from beginning to end. it could be named the uefa cup. finally, the fa cup winners from each country want to feel special so they deserve their own european trophy. a new competition for all the cup winners from around europe would be started. it would also be a straight 2 legged knockout competition from start to finish. this could be called something like....the european cup winners cup.

what do people think?

Haha ^ nice one Kev.

Can't scrap replays, for me. I have no stats for this but a truly little team rarely beats a big team, but they get a lot more draws than you'd expect. The replay is their reward. Leyton Orient's cup run this season has paid their expenses for this year. Their replay at Arsenal will pay next seasons. In a system where the rich get richer this goes some way towards occasionally getting money down to the lower leagues. Scrap replays and a plucky underdog getting to 90mins drawing will probably get beat in extra time as class and superior fitness from the bigger team shows out.

I'm interested in the regional idea someone mentioned, though. 3rd/4th round seeded and split into regions, maybe with the big team away. End up with City vs Oldham at Oldham, Villa vs Walsall at Walsall etc. for a round or two, then an open draw to the end. As for a Champs League place, shouldn't need it. The CL teams expect to get in it through the league, the next level of teams like Everton should be desperate to win something. Maybe with City and Spurs in the mix some of the nervous 'Sky 4' would try a bit harder then though, but I'd expect they take it seriously already and just expect to beat the likes of Orient with a slightly weakened team, which prob wouldn't change.

citykev28 said:
why not start with uefa?

i've thought long and hard about this and have an idea that just could work. the champions league could be reduced to include just the champions of each country. it would be two legged knockout from beginning to end. this would give the likes of red star belgrade and steaua bucharest more chance of glory. obviously, many european teams would be put out so to compensate, they could qualify for the europa league. this however would be re-vamped into a straight two-legged knockout from beginning to end. it could be named the uefa cup. finally, the fa cup winners from each country want to feel special so they deserve their own european trophy. a new competition for all the cup winners from around europe would be started. it would also be a straight 2 legged knockout competition from start to finish. this could be called something like....the european cup winners cup.

what do people think?
sounds a great idea Kev.
i actually thought of this 45 years ago ;)

(ye ok mate)

citykev28 said:
yep, sound TTT. my old man was here yesterday and was happy as fuck when your lot won. my eldest lad prefers rangers. my younger lad said he wanted celtic to win with my dad. split family indeed.
"your lot" ???? ,i'm a City fan and don't you fukn forget it bhoy ;)

enjoyed yesterday mate,listened to City game,1st half on the radio,(another certain game was being watched at the time)
fukn shittin it tbh,but "we" came good in the end.
Bring on the Evert.....em Villa :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.