Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Fabinho or Kimmich would of been ideal in a dual role . Fingers crossed Fernandinho can continue in covering at RB along with his natural midfield position.

For the left-back position it looks very much like we are targeting both Mendy and Bertrand. However, I don't think that we've been seriously linked with any right-backs other than Walker. I know that Fernandinho can play right-back, but he's not exactly a good option (much like Kolarov is not a good option for left-back). Also, if Fernandinho plays right-back then we are dramatically weakened in the defensive midfield. I just feel that we will be bringing in someone that can competently play in both positions. Fabinho and Kimmich are the best available options.

What I like the most about Fabinho is how he is able to come away with the ball 9 times out of 10 when making a tackle and immediately start the attack. None of our existing players are as refined in this ability as Fabinho. If he isn't being considered a serious target, then why not? He perfectly fills two deficiencies in our squad.

Either Fabinho or Kimmich would of been ideal in a dual role . Fingers crossed Fernandinho can continue in covering at RB along with his natural midfield position.
Thats why I would be surprised if we went with just Fernandinho to cover two positions, it would leave us with only Toure or Fernandinho for pivot, injury or suspension or just tiredness could leave us with no right back cover and nobody for the pivot. It may mot be either Kimmich or Fabinho but I'm sure we will get someone for that dual role.

For the left-back position it looks very much like we are targeting both Mendy and Bertrand. However, I don't think that we've been seriously linked with any right-backs other than Walker. I know that Fernandinho can play right-back, but he's not exactly a good option (much like Kolarov is not a good option for left-back). Also, if Fernandinho plays right-back then we are dramatically weakened in the defensive midfield. I just feel that we will be bringing in someone that can competently play in both positions. Fabinho and Kimmich are the best available options.

What I like the most about Fabinho is how he is able to come away with the ball 9 times out of 10 when making a tackle and immediately start the attack. None of our existing players are as refined in this ability as Fabinho. If he isn't being considered a serious target, then why not? He perfectly fills two deficiencies in our squad.
The whole pool of readymade players to choose from is relatively small, so I guess it's going to be a well-known name. We've been linked with Semedo and Aurier a few weeks ago, though I'm struggling to figure out if the interest was 'serious' or not.

Thats why I would be surprised if we went with just Fernandinho to cover two positions, it would leave us with only Toure or Fernandinho for pivot, injury or suspension or just tiredness could leave us with no right back cover and nobody for the pivot. It may mot be either Kimmich or Fabinho but I'm sure we will get someone for that dual role.

Ideally we should be targeting an extra RB imo, but I think Guardiola might be more happy with Fernandinho filling in rather than signing either Fabinho or Kimmich (that would of been the more difficult one with Bayern)

The whole pool of readymade players to choose from is relatively small, so I guess it's going to be a well-known name. We've been linked with Semedo and Aurier a few weeks ago, though I'm struggling to figure out if the interest was 'serious' or not.

No chance that we sign Aurier. PSG is owned by the Qataris. There will not be any business done between the two clubs this year. I also don't think that we've been seriously linked with Semedo. My understanding was that he was only being considered as an alternative to Walker.

If Toure was trusted in the pivot role this season with his defensive frailties (that's being polite), then there's no reason we can't play Gundogan there, he's just a better player all round.

Neither Kimmich nor Fabinho want to be right backs though. If we bought either it would be as a midfielder and used as cover for Walker. If Bayern are telling him hes going to be a right back and Pep is saying hed be our pivot, I'm sure he'd be tempted to come to us.
Squad wise if we get all our heavilly linked targets we'll have one space left and with only Fernandinho as right back cover my guess would be we are looking for either a second right back or a central mid, that can cover right back as well.

Kimmich literally said ""I would prefer to play left-wing, striker or even goalkeeper -- any other position -- rather than sitting on the bench as a central midfielder."

As much as I like him, he's not leaving.

If Toure was trusted in the pivot role this season with his defensive frailties (that's being polite), then there's no reason we can't play Gundogan there, he's just a better player all round.

I really think it depends on who the opposition is. When we play a team like West Brom we will use Yaya as the pivot. I think when we play strong sides who press well like Spurs we will may play a midfield 2 with Dihno and Yaya or Gundogan. I don't feel comfortable with Gundogan as a single pivot though. I've seen him give the ball away when pressured. I can't remember which game. It may have been against Barca away. I also think you need some height when balls are in the air in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.