False 9

Any one remember the 'Revie Plan' sometime in the 50's when Don Revie had a plan, something like a no 9 playing deep.Maybe some older posters could shed more light on this

Any of our players who have an eye for goal and play in midfield can fill that role. De-Bruyne, Sterling, Silva, Nolito, Nasri... And do qquite well imo.
Good point. That's why we don't really need to play an out and out false 9. Any one of those 5 players could be in an advanced position, depending on which area of the pitch we're building an attack, and have a couple of runners going past him. Wouldn't surprise me if Pep went with that kind of flexible approach. Just hope we'll have enough time to work on it if that's what we go with.

“The false 9 existed in football as far back as the days when the Argentine Adolfo Pedernera was playing for and leading Máquina de River Plate (1936-1945), although the first player to really make it his own was the Hungarian Nándor Hidegkuti... Players such as Alfredo Di Stéfano, Michael Laudrup and Francesco Totti had all been great exponents of the same position but it had fallen out of fashion until May 2, 2009”

Marti Perarnau: "Pep Confidential"

Or is reading too pretentious for you busy non-anoraks (with thousands of posts on a football forum)?
Sarky ****. Was it actually called that then, or a tactic with a modern name. If you were there you'd know, were you?

In an organised team every player knows their role, "false 9" is labeling something very incorrectly.

Pep Confidential is brilliant to be fair.

I have 100 questions about City's future and Brahim Dia is the answer to most of them. Expect him in the first team in the next three years.

I hate the term false 9. Tis bollox. It implies a striker who doesnt score enough goals but gets a free pass to stay in the team.

A forward that plays behind a striker and is more involved in link up play may be called a No 10 and that i get as that is a genuine position but what the F is a false No9?
This for me

Any one remember the 'Revie Plan' sometime in the 50's when Don Revie had a plan, something like a no 9 playing deep.Maybe some older posters could shed more light on this
Yep we,ve bin there before..with the Revie plan..as you say deep lying centre forward,confusing the opposing teams centre backs as they had no one to mark,the Pellegrini plan with no strikers at all due to injury and we did OK there...over to you Pep,to continue our rich vein of history in confusing defences.
Apparently, we have no history.
Any older posters who can shed more light on Revie and his plan? Always thought City never got enough credit for what was then unheard of innovative tactics.

Yep we,ve bin there before..with the Revie plan..as you say deep lying centre forward,confusing the opposing teams centre backs as they had no one to mark,the Pellegrini plan with no strikers at all due to injury and we did OK there...over to you Pep,to continue our rich vein of history in confusing defences.
Apparently, we have no history.
Any older posters who can shed more light on Revie and his plan? Always thought City never got enough credit for what was then unheard of innovative tactics.
The popular conception is that the Blues’ manager of the time, Les McDowall, had looked at the way the Hungarian side had destroyed England at Wembley in 1953, by utilising a deep-lying centre forward. McDowall had then adapted the idea for use at Manchester City.
After honing the system in the reseves, he introduced it into the first team and then pulled the master stroke of linking Don Revie and Ken Barnes as the pivotal characters in his revolutionary new plan.
The press at the time were very much taken with the idea and dubbed City ‘The Magyars of Maine Road’.
This widely held view of how The Revie Plan came into being is dismissed by Ken Barnes as ‘Bollocks!’ “It haf fuck all to do with the Hungarians, we were playing a deep-lying centre forward in the City reserves, before they turned England over at Wembley.

More...; I've seen tapes but I wasn't anything but a twinkle in my grandmothers eye back then;

http://www.citytilidie.com/uncategorized/the-revie-plan/

The popular conception is that the Blues’ manager of the time, Les McDowall, had looked at the way the Hungarian side had destroyed England at Wembley in 1953, by utilising a deep-lying centre forward. McDowall had then adapted the idea for use at Manchester City.
After honing the system in the reseves, he introduced it into the first team and then pulled the master stroke of linking Don Revie and Ken Barnes as the pivotal characters in his revolutionary new plan.
The press at the time were very much taken with the idea and dubbed City ‘The Magyars of Maine Road’.
This widely held view of how The Revie Plan came into being is dismissed by Ken Barnes as ‘Bollocks!’ “It haf fuck all to do with the Hungarians, we were playing a deep-lying centre forward in the City reserves, before they turned England over at Wembley.

More...; I've seen tapes but I wasn't anything but a twinkle in my grandmothers eye back then;

http://www.citytilidie.com/uncategorized/the-revie-plan/
Good read that.
Cheers for posting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.