Family mystery put to rest today

Can't you see this Dicko?

Now you have quoted it, there is a white oblong, when I click on that, it took me to a new page with the pic. cheers. on the original post the white didn't show up on the white background.

Now you have quoted it, there is a white oblong, when I click on that, it took me to a new page with the pic. cheers. on the original post the white didn't show up on the white background.
The other photos were monument listing the dead and a small monument with a plaque explaining a runaway slave was the cemetery sexton who kept meticulous records at this prison camp to make sure their memories weren't forgotten.

My grandfather fought in the trenches at Passchaendale in 1917 but he joined up under a false name. The story I was told by my dad was that this was because he was too young but I checked and he was in his mid-twenties when he enlisted so that's clearly not right. With the centenary of the battle coming up later this year, I tried to find out something about him but drew a blank. He survived the battle although he was wounded and died in his 90's so he talked about the war and what he went through. I really should have got more details from him but you don't think about things like that unfortunately.

I thought he'd served in the Lancashire Fusiliers so asked at the museum in Bury but they had nothing on him or, more precisely, they had information about others with the same name but none appeared to be him. It's quite frustrating that I can't track him down. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My grandfather fought in the trenches at Passchaendale in 1917 but he joined up under a false name. The story I was told by my dad was that this was because he was too young but I checked and he was in his mid-twenties when he enlisted so that's clearly not right. With the centenary of the battle coming up later this year, I tried to find out something about him but drew a blank. He survived the battle although he was wounded and died in his 90's so he talked about the war and what he went through. I really should have got more details from him but you don't think about things like that unfortunately.

I thought he'd served in the Lancashire Fusiliers so asked at the museum in Bury but they had nothing on him or, more precisely, they had information about others with the same name but none appeared to be him. It's quite frustrating that I can't track him down. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do you know the pseudonym he used?

Good story mate, by the way.

Not sure mate but I'll ask my sister. She's been looking into some of this stuff recently.
My Grandad was in the Lancashire Fusiliers and dropped behind enemy lines in Burma.

Do you know the pseudonym he used?

Good story mate, by the way.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/research/military-records/british-soldiers-ww1-service-records.htm

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...arch-guides/british-army-soldiers-after-1913/

You also might try familysearch.org. The Mormons keep meticulous records. it is free and worth a look.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.