Family mystery put to rest today

Weird. When I reply the rest of my message shows.
Looks like you hit +Quote.

Regarding the images, which hosting site are you using?
On tinypic for example, when copying the address (URL) DONT copy the
B] to appear, you MUST include the .jpg extension.
B] to appear, you MUST include the .jpg extension.
IMG at each end but DO copy the .jpg

Last edited:
Nice stories fellas. I saw the picture when i clicked on the invisable white box. My great Aunt was born in 1898 she lived to be 107 and so lived in three centuries. When she was 15 she joined the Royal Flying Corp the predecessor of the RAF. She worked as ground support / crew repairing aircraft wings ( mainly Avro I beleive) in France. After she turned 100 the RAF would fly two Tornados over her care home every birthday as a salute to her services. When she died she was the last surviving member of the RFC and high ranking staff officers attended her funeral and there was another fly past. She was just another ordinary person doing extraordinary things but the RAF never forgot her. Her older sister enlisted as an army nurse and drove an ambulance back from the front line to the hospital at Etaples. Both remarkable ladies.

My grandfather fought in the trenches at Passchaendale in 1917 but he joined up under a false name. The story I was told by my dad was that this was because he was too young but I checked and he was in his mid-twenties when he enlisted so that's clearly not right. With the centenary of the battle coming up later this year, I tried to find out something about him but drew a blank. He survived the battle although he was wounded and died in his 90's so he talked about the war and what he went through. I really should have got more details from him but you don't think about things like that unfortunately.

I thought he'd served in the Lancashire Fusiliers so asked at the museum in Bury but they had nothing on him or, more precisely, they had information about others with the same name but none appeared to be him. It's quite frustrating that I can't track him down. Does anyone have any suggestions?
If you have his medals, his name and official number should be inscribed on the bottom.

Oh i wish i was in the land of cotton
Old times there are not forgotton
Look away, look away , look away Dixie Land
In Dixie's land where i was born
Early on one frosty morn
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land
I wish i was in Dixie hooray hooray
In Dixies land ill make my stand
To live and die in Dixie
Away, away, away down south in Dixie
Away, away, away down south in Dixie

Might have lost the war eventually but they whipped the Yankees in songs

Nice stories fellas. I saw the picture when i clicked on the invisable white box. My great Aunt was born in 1898 she lived to be 107 and so lived in three centuries. When she was 15 she joined the Royal Flying Corp the predecessor of the RAF. She worked as ground support / crew repairing aircraft wings ( mainly Avro I beleive) in France. After she turned 100 the RAF would fly two Tornados over her care home every birthday as a salute to her services. When she died she was the last surviving member of the RFC and high ranking staff officers attended her funeral and there was another fly past. She was just another ordinary person doing extraordinary things but the RAF never forgot her. Her older sister enlisted as an army nurse and drove an ambulance back from the front line to the hospital at Etaples. Both remarkable ladies.
great story that, our armed forces are something we can all be proud of in this country, from top to bottom, they are the best, and its the right thing to remember them when ever we get a chance, they live and die to serve and protect us all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.