Fantasy Premier League/old First Division

Southern

If the PL/First Division was made up of the 20 'biggest' teams of all time in England based on club history, domestic and European trophies, top flight history and fanbase, which teams would be in it?

My approximation (no, not the end of season 'table'), although I am sure I will be told some obvious teams missing:

City
United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Everton (these 7 teams pick themselves based on Premier League history alone)

Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest (both won European Cup)

Burnley
Blackburn
Stoke
Preston
Leeds
Wolves

Newcastle
Sunderland
West Ham
Leicester
Derby

So, I put these clubs forward as the 20 'biggest' in English football. Should there be more Yorkshire teams? Or any teams from Wales or the Southwest ?

1) Arsenal
2) Aston Villa

3) Blackburn Rovers
4) Chelsea
5) Derby County
6) Everton
7) Leeds United

8) Leicester City
9) Liverpool
10) Manchester City
11) Manchester United
12) Newcastle United
13) Nottingham Forest

14) Sheffield Wednesday
15) Southampton
16) Stoke City
17) Sunderland
18) Tottenham Hotspur
19) West Ham United

20) Wolverhampton Wanderers

Taking into account, trophies, fans, current situation (style of football, current players, fans), last 20 years, just my general feeling towards the clubs etc...

Something like that. Well aware that there are teams with more trophies than Stoke and Southampton but rewarded a couple of teams with current situation. West Brom, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Preston, Burnley, Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, etc... could make a claim.

If I picked it solely on trophies then only 24 sides have won the league so it would just be 20 of those.

Ones in bold are my definites, the rest are flexible but there aren't many better options.

Last edited:
1) Arsenal
2) Aston Villa

3) Blackburn Rovers
4) Chelsea
5) Derby County
6) Everton
7) Leeds United

8) Leicester City
9) Liverpool
10) Manchester City
11) Manchester United
12) Newcastle United
13) Nottingham Forest

14) Sheffield Wednesday
15) Southampton
16) Stoke City
17) Sunderland
18) Tottenham Hotspur
19) West Ham United

20) Wolverhampton Wanderers

Taking into account, trophies, fans, current situation, last 20 years, just my general feeling towards the clubs etc...

Something like that. Well aware that there are teams with more trophies than Stoke and Southampton but rewarded a couple of teams with current situation. West Brom, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Preston, Burnley, Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, etc... could make a claim.

If I picked it solely on trophies then only 24 sides have won the league so it would just be 20 of those.

Ones in bold are my definites, the rest are flexible but there aren't many better options.

I have revised my criteria. It can only be teams that have won the League, and recent-ish history to dictate whether they are in this League. Fanbase is no longer as important:

Therefore, Southampton, Stoke and West Ham cannot be in it.

Ipswich, Portsmouth and Burnley/Huddersfield would replace them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.