FC United Thread

First season syndrome as with any new stadium. More 'curious' home fans, more away fans ticking it off their list. No big surprise and anyone thinking crowds would have gone up this season (unless the club were really going for it at the top) are deluded.

Should be fun and games tomorrow as the Moston Rag Socks v The Crass of 92.

hahahaha the no win no lose game and a chance to jumpship

This is anecdotal so don't treat it as gospel, but I knew someone who had good knowledge of the Council's dealings with FC United over the stadium. I was told that the club took the attitude that it was a community club and the Council thus had a duty to give it support (a position some in MCC also seem to have been willing to adopt). There seemed no genuine recognition (beyond paying lip service and ) of the fact that we were in a time of austerity and budgets were being cut across the board, so maybe FC should show why the community would be better off if MCC grant funding, a council loan and a stadium site were to be diverted their way rather than spent on other things. If true, that kind of attitude usually comes from the top. I can well imagine that he genuinely believed it, but I don't believe that MCC asked all the questions they should have done.

I can tell you that anecdote is spot on, as I was present at many of the negotiations. It was very much sold as a community club, in the same sense that Moston Juniors (the junior club who had just been granted Ronald Johnson to re-develop/use by the council, but were then shafted by the very same MCC) were to become the linked junior base of FCUM. The facilities at the new ground were also to be for community use at cheap(er) rates.

That never happened. Me and my dad saw the writing on the wall for Moston Juniors and jumped ship. A few years of PR style appeasement from FCUM was eventually replaced with al almost autocratic view that this is our ground and we'll do what we want. For example they charge about £90 for their astro - hardly subsidised, hardly ever open to the local community due to first team usage and vastly overpriced compared to other local facilities (not to mention St. Matthews High School had just built an astro at the same time, which is much cheaper by the way.) Most of the main supporters for the project at Moston Juniors have now realised they've been shafted and the illusions of community grandeur FC sold at the time was just a huge myth. Glad that we got out when we did.

hahahaha the no win no lose game and a chance to jumpship
Saw a poster for this in a city centre boozer on Thursday, united and city in big letters, fc & Salford in small type.

Seeing as both are raggy clubs it's funny as fuck they're using UNITED V CITY as a selling point.

You've got to love the principles of the FCUM fans in the thread on their forum about the Hull v Utd game

" there's quiet a few fc fan's at the game tonight so that's why it's been sung these fan's used to be part of fc but not any more with all the crap that's ongoing can you blame them "

"Pity so many have gone back to big United now that there are signs we're starting to move back in the right direction, although there must have been a hell of a lot of ex FC Fans there by the noise?"

Mr Burns gif required :)
b85cbffdd562c2721029e6934f7b9563.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.