FCUM Ground update

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Tueartsoverhead kick said:
ancoats said:
am I the only one who thinks this is good for moston

not a fan but lived on the miners estate in the 70s/80s and went back a couple of month ago and nothing really has changed its still a place on where you don't go out after its dark and alot of gangs on the streets

well if the parents are looking to there kids for something else to do other than sell drugs on the streets this should give them hope

I suppose it depends on what you think it will give the kids that already isn't available in the area ?

I'm sure it will be good for Moston, those against it were not against FCUM but the siting of the stadium on that particular site and still maintain that.

Gangs have always roamed about and very rarely seek organised activities.
Last year I saw a plan for the use of the astroturf and it was to be booked solid each day for use by local colleges (both Manchester and Oldham) local schools, Moston Juniors and FCUM themselves. The only times it was available was 4-5pm - hardly beneficial to "the local community" - and of course there will be a fee to use the facilities. Can the kids from the Miners estate or other local areas afford that?
The facilities said to be offered inside such as computer courses etc are available at libraries etc. Maybe a football club can / will engage young people better than other providers of such services and I hope they do.
I expect to begin with there will be a keen interest in it but FCUM will have to sustain that novelty value - and of course sustain all the public funding they receive to run such projects. As belts tighten, public money becomes rarer.
Good luck to them, it is now happening so I hope it goes well - the locals will be watching closely at all the promises and assurances given by FCUM and two councillors who backed the scheme.

I think it will be good too. I live in Failsworth and I was in favour of Oldham relocating here so I am no NIMBY [Not accusing anyone lse BTW]. The 3G pitches at Failsworth have been a real success. My son plays on them most weekends, just him and his mates having a lick about. Yes there is a charge but it's about a quid each. Not bad to say it's a controlled, managed and secure environment and can be used most of the year.

The 3G pitches at Brierley Avenue are excellent and very well utilised. My Grandson plays for Northside Under 8's there every Saturday and the pitches are in full use from early morning till after dinner. Sadly, unless somebody can tell me otherwise, FCUM aren't building or laying more than a single 3G pitch, if that. So community usage will be very limited. As someone who only lives a couple of hundred yards from the development the building of the stadium doesn't concern me, its a long time since anything substantial was built in Moston. What does concern me though are the supporters, who unfortunately, have a terrible reputation for violence at games. Hopefully my fears will be unfounded and they'll settle into their new home and bring some character and much needed business to the area.

Terrible reputation for violence?

I think you'll find that our reputation is such that GMP don't think it's even worthwhile policing our games. This is non league, segregation is rare and problems rarer. We are a very amenable bunch.

mostonbluemark said:
The 3G pitches at Brierley Avenue are excellent and very well utilised. My Grandson plays for Northside Under 8's there every Saturday and the pitches are in full use from early morning till after dinner. Sadly, unless somebody can tell me otherwise, FCUM aren't building or laying more than a single 3G pitch, if that. So community usage will be very limited. As someone who only lives a couple of hundred yards from the development the building of the stadium doesn't concern me, its a long time since anything substantial was built in Moston. What does concern me though are the supporters, who unfortunately, have a terrible reputation for violence at games. Hopefully my fears will be unfounded and they'll settle into their new home and bring some character and much needed business to the area.

It wont be as big as the complex your building, but it will be suitable for MJ and all the local community to enjoy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXspG5-L0M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXspG5-L0M</a>

redrog said:

I think you'll find that our reputation is such that GMP don't think it's even worthwhile policing our games. This is non league, segregation is rare and problems rarer. We are a very amenable bunch.

The things I see in the press must be fiction written by the papers then. That said, I do hope they add rather than detract to the local area. Lets hope nobody tries to park in my street though, you have been warned!

underthemoonlight said:
mostonbluemark said:

It wont be as big as the complex your building, but it will be suitable for MJ and all the local community to enjoy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXspG5-L0M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXspG5-L0M</a>

As I said on page 2, from some brochure I saw a while back, the pitch is fully booked each day by colleges, schools, Moston Juniors and FCUM save between 4-5pm.
So your ''for all the community to enjoy'' claim seems a little hollow. And, of course, exactly what percentage of ''all of the community'' want to play football?

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
underthemoonlight said:
mostonbluemark said:

As I said on page 2, from some brochure I saw a while back, the pitch is fully booked each day by colleges, schools, Moston Juniors and FCUM save between 4-5pm.
So your ''for all the community to enjoy'' claim seems a little hollow. And, of course, exactly what percentage of ''all of the community'' want to play football?

Schools, colleges and Moston juniors are part of the community.
Are people who don't want to play football going to be arsed if the pitches are fully booked?

SteWadda said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
underthemoonlight said:

Schools, colleges and Moston juniors are part of the community.
Are people who don't want to play football going to be arsed if the pitches are fully booked?

Yes if their house backs onto the pitch ha ha!
I suppose it is how far you stretch the term ''local community'' as Oldham College were down as one of the organisations using the pitch (and yes Chadderton is just up the road......) it's this ''holistic'' term used by underthemoonlight ''all of the local community'' when clearly ''all of the local community'' are not going to be attracted to use it. Reality is a much smaller percentage of the local community will use it and I just wish they would be more honest about making such claims.

mostonbluemark said:
redrog said:

The things I see in the press must be fiction written by the papers then. That said, I do hope they add rather than detract to the local area. Lets hope nobody tries to park in my street though, you have been warned!

Not sure what you are referring to in the press. If you'd like to point me in the direction of these press reports covering trouble at FC home games, I'll do my best to address them for you.

redrog said:
mostonbluemark said:
redrog said:

Not sure what you are referring to in the press. If you'd like to point me in the direction of these press reports covering trouble at FC home games, I'll do my best to address them for you.

He didn't state home (or away) games. Nice side step there ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.