Fernandinho - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Guardiola on Fernandinho: "If a team has three men like him, they would be the champions."
Pep: "We only have one, but Fernandinho is fast, he is intelligent, he is strong in the air and he can play several positions."
Pep: "When he sees the space he will run there immediately. When you need to make a correction, when you need one to change, he's there."
Pep: "If the club decide my opinion is good, then hopefully Fernandinho will stay because I have just said what I think of him."

One of our most consistent players who suffered on Wednesday because those around him didn't put the effort in which left him chasing shadows.

Hero of a player, gutted we never found him 5 years earlier as he is at his peak right now.

Dino has still got a couple of cracking seasons in him and I also think that Fernando is going to be vital, albeit coming on from the bench to boost the defensive midfield. I just wish that Dino would find the net a bit more. He should surely be capable of getting around 10 in all comps during a season and working in this system might just give him the opportunity to deliver.

One of our most consistent players who suffered on Wednesday because those around him didn't put the effort in which left him chasing shadows.
Not sure which game you were watching because whilst some players were slightly under par.....you certainly couldn't accuse them of lacking effort!!

Not sure which game you were watching because whilst some players were slightly under par.....you certainly couldn't accuse them of lacking effort!!
Do you think he got much help from gundo and silva, was aguero pressing from the front only sterling can hold his head high from that performance. Maybe you didn't watch the Celtic game I'm talking about.

Do you think he got much help from gundo and silva, was aguero pressing from the front only sterling can hold his head high from that performance. Maybe you didn't watch the Celtic game I'm talking about.
Dihno's misplaced passes weren't due to others. And him jumping into tackles late weren't either. He simply had a poor game. Let's not put it on others.

Dinho could go on for at least another 3 years at the level he is at! Never seems to be out on the piss, trains hard and seems a perfect professional. A real shame we didn't get him a few years sooner :-(

I'm re-watching the Spurs game now, primarily to assess Kolarov's performance but to also observe where we did well and where we made mistakes. It's slow going - stopping the playback to make notes, rewinding and watching sequences two or three times. I'm about a third of the way through.

Anyhow...

Fernandinho has twice now applied a sort of high press I hadn't seen our side attempt until now. When the ball goes back to their keeper, Kun begins to press and Fernandinho will position himself so that the only free option for Lloris is the man closest to the touch line nearest the ball. Fernandinho leaves this man very wide open. Then, just as the forced pass is made, Fernandinho steams forward at full speed to put immense pressure on the receiver.

This paid immediate dividends the first time he did this (on the right) as Navas intercepted the receiver's attempted pass, ultimately leading to a dangerous cross from Navas which Silva probably should have scored from.

The second time was on the left. This time Walker (I believe) gets the ball, Fernandinho steams forward, but Walker finds Wanyama as Kolarov is just slightly too slow to cut off the pass but is nonetheless continuing the press correctly which should lead to a turn over.

But Fernando is ball watching - he doesn't appreciate what's going on and Walker finds an open Erikson who has time to turn and hit a wide open Son as Fernando belated moves to press Erikson which - at this way too late juncture - simply takes Fernando out of the play.

As a result, it's Zabba and Otters are alone against Son and Lamela. Zabba must play centrally and cannot afford to cover Lamela as Son moves forward and forces Zabba to cut him off. Son releases the ball to Lamela, who by sheer dumb luck is offsides.

It's amazing how poor play from one person (Fernando) undoes all of our pressing and creates a nearly disastrous situation.
===
Credit to Dax777 who anticipated the benefit of Fernandinho's high pressure (I didn't foresee this) - but not to side-track things - the part of the sequence where Fernando nearly costs us is why I think we need Fernandinho playing the 6 - or if not Fernandinho, someone who is fast, can read the game, who will move into open spaces and who can link-up play from the back.
===
I'm also wondering if this is something that Fernandinho is doing on his own, or if the "open man trap" is something that Pep has had our team work on.

Last edited:
I'm re-watching the Spurs game now, primarily to assess Kolarov's performance but to also observe where we did well and where we made mistakes. It's slow going - stopping the playback to make notes, rewinding and watching sequences two or three times. I'm about a third of the way through.

Anyhow...

Fernandinho has twice now applied a sort of high press I hadn't seen our side attempt until now. When the ball goes back to their keeper, Kun begins to press and Fernandinho will position himself so that the only free option for Lloris is the man closest to the touch line nearest the ball. Fernandinho leaves this man very wide open. Then, just as the forced pass is made, Fernandinho steams forward at full speed to put immense pressure on the receiver.

This paid immediate dividends the first time he did this (on the right) as Navas intercepted the receiver's attempted pass, ultimately leading to a dangerous cross from Navas which Silva probably should have scored from.

The second time was on the left. This time Walker (I believe) gets the ball, Fernandinho steams forward, but Walker finds Wanyama as Kolarov is just slightly too slow to cut off the pass but is nonetheless continuing the press correctly which should lead to a turn over.

But Fernando is ball watching - he doesn't appreciate what's going on and Walker finds an open Erikson who has time to turn and hit a wide open Son as Fernando belated moves to press Erikson which - at this way too late juncture - simply takes Fernando out of the play.

As a result, it's Zabba and Otters are alone against Son and Lamela. Zabba must play centrally and cannot afford to cover Lamela as Son moves forward and forces Zabba to cut him off. Son releases the ball to Lamela, who by sheer dumb luck is offsides.

It's amazing how poor play from one person (Fernando) undoes all of our pressing and creates a nearly disastrous situation.
===
Credit to Dax777 who anticipated the benefit of Fernandinho's high pressure (I didn't foresee this) - but not to side-track things - the part of the sequence where Fernando nearly costs us is why I think we need Fernandinho playing the 6 - or if not Fernandinho, someone who is fast, can read the game, who will move into open spaces and who can link-up play from the back.
===
I'm also wondering if this is something that Fernandinho is doing on his own, or if the "open man trap" is something that Pep has had our team work on.
We were always meant to press to take away passing options and not the passer itself. The 2 closest to the ball will hound the passer, but the rest has to cover the near passing options, leaving the other side of the pitch uncovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.