Fernandinho - 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's stalling because the club are putting feelers out for new midfield recruits next summer. I've commented earlier that we should upgrade on both Yaya and Fernandinho next summer, to really sort us out for the next 5 years, or more. If we don't get clarity regarding a summer target, then perhaps the one year extension will go through. Only speculating, but that's my gut feeling, since we can only have 17 non-home grown players.

I hate comments like this, it shows such a complete lack of understanding of the game it's embarrassing.

Remind me again how the opening goal against Brighton was scored? Then do the same with the opening goal against Liverpool?

Winning possession back high up the pitch and quickly is equally if not more important than having an additional attacking player when it comes to scoring the opening goal, especially against 'park the bus' teams. It's very often the only time when those teams are vulnerable because they're out of position while trying the odd counter-attack. I won't even mention Fernandinho's through ball to Aguero for Jesus' goal yesterday, just to prove he's got more than enough passing ability.
Huh?

Every player in Pep's side is expected to press. Some are better than others. Fernandinho is especially good at winning the ball back.

Mccity is exactly correct - against teams that park the bus, that pose little threat, that are hard to break down - it's better to give up a little defensive nous in favor of a player who is more capable of unlocking defenses.

Do you really want to play Fernandinho in such games instead of Gundogan/Toure?
========
That said - yes, Fernandinho has made a few awesome passes lately from deep - but he does not make such passes consistently - not with the consistency of Toure/Gundogan.

And thus, Fernandinho should not start against teams that park the bus - all other factors being equal (upcoming fixtures, injuries to the squad, need to rotate players, etc. may of course alter the actual player selected to play pivot).

Last edited:
I wonder if it's stalling because the club are putting feelers out for new midfield recruits next summer. I've commented earlier that we should upgrade on both Yaya and Fernandinho next summer, to really sort us out for the next 5 years, or more. If we don't get clarity regarding a summer target, then perhaps the one year extension will go through. Only speculating, but that's my gut feeling, since we can only have 17 non-home grown players.

I think DM is the next on the list of positions to sort the long term future of. Yaya and Fern out of contract means we could do to DM what we did with our fullbacks and I think that will be the plan unless Fern has a phenomenal season.

Huh?

Every player in Pep's side is expected to press. Some are better than others. Fernandinho is especially good at winning the ball back.

Mccity is exactly correct - against teams that park the bus, that pose little threat, that are hard to break down - it's better to give up a little defensive nous in favor of a player who is more capable of unlocking defenses.

Do you really want to play Fernandinho in such games instead of Gundogan/Toure?
========
That said - yes, Fernandinho has made a few awesome passes lately from deep - but he does not make such passes consistently - not with the consistency of Toure/Gundogan.

And thus, Fernandinho should not start against teams that park the bus - all other factors being equal (upcoming fixtures, injuries to the squad, need to rotate players, etc. may of course alter the actual player selected to play pivot).

You only have to look at Klopp, his whole attacking philosophy is based on counter pressing to see how it can unlock 'park the bus' defences in a different way. And before you pipe up and say they don't have as good an attacking/scoring, I appreciate that but then again they don't have a midfield or forward line containing De Bruyne, Silva, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Jesus or Aguero.

So yes I would absolutely pick Fernandinho instead of Yaya in those games, Gundogan is a different proposition because he's got the ability to do everything if we can get him fit.

I think he'll be offered a new deal,pep likes him

Too early to even talk about it. If we're 30 games in and this is the norm, then yeah. But let's see how he plays going into November/Dec.

I still think we have his replacement lined up for the next window. Weigl is my guess, but could be some unheard of wonderkid too knowing Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.