Fernandinho - 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only have to look at Klopp, his whole attacking philosophy is based on counter pressing to see how it can unlock 'park the bus' defences in a different way. And before you pipe up and say they don't have as good an attacking/scoring, I appreciate that but then again they don't have a midfield or forward line containing De Bruyne, Silva, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Jesus or Aguero.

So yes I would absolutely pick Fernandinho instead of Yaya in those games, Gundogan is a different proposition because he's got the ability to do everything if we can get him fit.
Fair enough - we agree to disagree then.

Some comments/questions:

1) Klopp's pressing is entirely different than Pep's - Klopp is a total every man at the ball press - Pep's is a press that relies on cutting off passes with the player(s) closest to the ball actually putting pressure on.

2) It's not clear to me where you want to play Fernandinho - apparently it's not in the pivot. Higher up then?

Yes, he can be effective in an ATM possition, forcing turn overs more quickly than we'd otherwise realize - in fact, better at quickly winning the ball back than just about anyone else in our side. But against packed defenses, we don't have problems winning the ball back/breaking up opposition play - we have problems breaking down set defenses - numerous players in our side are far more capable than Fernandinho in this role.

Ditto at the pivot and even more so - Fernandinho there is superb at stopping attacks - but only rarely makes killer passes forward. Once more, against parked defenses, we have numerous other options available that are better at unlocking defenses.
========
Against sides that will high press us and that have talent to hurt us (Pool/Spurs), I'd absolutely want Fernandinho to start. Would probably like to see him start against the Scum/Spurs too - But against sides that will park the bus, we have numerous more effective options available.

Last edited:
ATM, that's what Nasri was when Van Persie scored that free kick in the derby.

Fair enough - we agree to disagree then.

Some comments/questions:

1) Klopp's pressing is entirely different than Pep's - Klopp is a total every man at the ball press - Pep's is a press that relies on cutting off passes with the player(s) closest to the ball actually putting pressure on.

2) It's not clear to me where you want to play Fernandinho - apparently it's not in the pivot. Higher up then?

Yes, he can be effective in an ATM possition, forcing turn overs more quickly than we'd otherwise realize - in fact, better at quickly winning the ball back than just about anyone else in our side. But against packed defenses, we don't have problems winning the ball back/breaking up opposition play - we have problems breaking down set defenses - numerous players in our side are far more capable than Fernandinho in this role.

Ditto at the pivot and even more so - Fernandinho there is superb at stopping attacks - but only rarely makes killer passes forward. Once more, against parked defenses, we have numerous other options available that are better at unlocking defenses.
========
Against sides that will high press us and that have talent to hurt us (Pool/Spurs), I'd absolutely want Fernandinho to start. Would probably like to see him start against the Scum/Spurs too - But against sides that will park the bus, we have numerous more effective options available.

1). The differences between the pressing styles are irrelevant, the result of both is identical.

2). Why do you think that? I haven't said anything regarding playing Fernandinho in any other position than holding midfield/pivot or whatever else you want to call it.

The only time I've ever suggested we have a problem winning the ball back is when Yaya plays, as he's too slow, too lazy and generally useless out of possession. The insurance Fernandinho provides gives our more attacking players more freedom to press more aggressively (e.g. De Bruyne vs Brighton), he wouldn't have pressed that intently like that with Yaya behind him because the consequences would be far worse if Brighton played around him.

My personal opinion is that the team being able to press more aggressively and more frequently because of Fernandinho's ability in that regard will create far more goal scoring opportunities than an additional ball playing midfielder who can't press as effectively. The fact remains other than set pieces, most goals are scored from counter attacks.

fernandinho-manchester-city_l2u4onzszi9819pruybo58kfl.jpg

Agent F was at his most effective again this summer as Pep Guardiola sought to overhaul his Manchester City squad. A budget of £300m can go so far - but that wasn’t the only weapon in the Catalan’s arsenal. Increasingly, Guardiola and City have turned to the persuasive powers of Fernandinho when landing their prime targets.

The Brazilian international has been particularly effective when closing in on fellow countrymen. He was influential in Gabriel Jesus' move from Palmeiras in January.

Read more:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-transfers-gabriel-jesus

Along with David Silva, Kompany & Toure, Fernandinho just has to be one of the best bits of business in the club's history. I hope he gets an extension to his current deal & is kept on after retirement to become our 007 in Brazil.

I'd like to see him get a one year extension for the sole purpose of mentoring Gabriel. I don't know what his stance is on taking a significantly reduced role but if he's willing to potentially take one then I think it's a no brainer. Ederson is fairly young as well.

I was already thinking his ability to speak several languages(naturally knowing Brazilian culture too), his experience and his intelligence might be a reason why the club will keep him until he's ready to retire and then bring him in as a coach much like Vieira did. I think he will stay too he looks very happy at City and he's passed some of that love on to others that have joined already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.