Ferran Soriano: City positioning themselves as “club of the future”

Interesting but it should be ringing some alarm bells as well.

For one thing, he’s given that interview to an Argentinian newspaper, not the Guardian, Telegraph or even the Financial Times, which is increasingly writing about the business of football. So if Ducker hadn’t picked it up we may never have known about it. Has he ever directly addressed us, via a fans’ forum, City TV or something like that? Not that I recall apart from some £x+VAT meal he did once.

And to add to that he makes an implicit statement that it’s all about foreign fans. The rags have found that it’s very difficult to monetise foreign fans. The focus should be on domestic ones, particularly those of us who go to matches regularly. If in 10 years time we can look back at 4 or 5 CL wins and 6 or 7 PL titles then the fans will come. My feeling is that in the rush to set up the CFG and the desire to promote the name of Abu Dhabi globally, the fans in Manchester are seen as the least important part of the equation.

We have stolen a march on our rivals because we have created a new business model. Spreading our costs across the City Football Group coupled with huge infrastructure development is generating huge revenues. Regenerating Manchester by building thousands of homes and the Campus will help to fuel those revenues. But we are also starting to do this in New York and other places where we have bases.
The longer our enemies rant on about "oil money" the easier it will be for us to overtake them commercially. They are too stupid to see that this project is about making Abu Dhabi commercially viable and sustainable without oil revenues. Our owners have already trebled their money on their Manchester investment. The Glazers and clowns like Ed Woodward are out of their league.

We have stolen a march on our rivals because we have created a new business model. Spreading our costs across the City Football Group coupled with huge infrastructure development is generating huge revenues. Regenerating Manchester by building thousands of homes and the Campus will help to fuel those revenues. But we are also starting to do this in New York and other places where we have bases.
The longer our enemies rant on about "oil money" the easier it will be for us to overtake them commercially. They are too stupid to see that this project is about making Abu Dhabi commercially viable and sustainable without oil revenues. Our owners have already trebled their money on their Manchester investment. The Glazers and clowns like Ed Woodward are out of their league.

I think you are right about business models, though ours is very long-term. My view would be that American owners had a simpler model: put all football decision-making power and control in the hands of an autocratic manager at United, who's now retired, and at Arsenal, who is now senile.

When those have gone, there's an enormous vacuum of football knowledge making a sucking sound at both clubs, filled inadequately by money at Utd, and filled hilariously by ArsenalTV at the Emirates.

Interesting but it should be ringing some alarm bells as well.

For one thing, he’s given that interview to an Argentinian newspaper, not the Guardian, Telegraph or even the Financial Times, which is increasingly writing about the business of football. So if Ducker hadn’t picked it up we may never have known about it. Has he ever directly addressed us, via a fans’ forum, City TV or something like that? Not that I recall apart from some £x+VAT meal he did once.

And to add to that he makes an implicit statement that it’s all about foreign fans. The rags have found that it’s very difficult to monetise foreign fans. The focus should be on domestic ones, particularly those of us who go to matches regularly. If in 10 years time we can look back at 4 or 5 CL wins and 6 or 7 PL titles then the fans will come. My feeling is that in the rush to set up the CFG and the desire to promote the name of Abu Dhabi globally, the fans in Manchester are seen as the least important part of the equation.

Some very valid points you make which may explain why our local fan base has not expanded as I think it should have considering the football we are currently playing and the success we've had since the takeover, hence the delay with the north stand expansion.

Most of their income is through advertising.

Over a billion profit on £12bn revenues.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/29/sky-profits-rise-customers-germany-italy
They paid about £4.2bn for 3 years which is roughly £1.4bn P/A
They're paying about 12.4% of their yearly revenue for premier league alone which is considerable.
In comparison I think they only payed £1bn for 5 years worth of F1, which is £200m P/A and less than 2% of their yearly revenue.

They paid about £4.2bn for 3 years which is roughly £1.4bn P/A
They're paying about 12.4% of their yearly revenue for premier league alone which is considerable.
In comparison I think they only payed £1bn for 5 years worth of F1, which is £200m P/A and less than 2% of their yearly revenue.
Yep. Football was the shrewd choice to get sky going and it’s been their bedrock ever since.

Yep. Football was the shrewd choice to get sky going and it’s been their bedrock ever since.
Not a surprise nobody's been able to poach the PL from them.
I'm still surprised BT nicked the champions league from them but I can't see the numbers being in the same stratosphere

Not a surprise nobody's been able to poach the PL from them.
I'm still surprised BT nicked the champions league from them but I can't see the numbers being in the same stratosphere
UEFA are pissed off with BT's viewer numbers, shouldn't have taken it off free to air on Tuesdays then the clown.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.