FIFA fines home nations for displaying poppies.

CitizenTID

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38368144

Home nations all fined for wearing poppies, poppy displays, or I think SSN mentioned in some cases, simply wearing black armbands. Rep. Ireland also fined for a small 1916 homage on their shirts.

FIFA just jumping on an opportunity to line their pockets? All symbolism confined to the isles that none of us have issue with; none of their business unless they take the view they are setting the precedent in case of future "political symbol" use elsewhere.

This is disgraceful by FIFA.

Following Wales' 1-1 draw at home to Serbia the next day, Fifa opened disciplinary proceedings looking at "fans in the stands wearing the poppy" and the presence of "a member of the armed forces holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel", according to the Football Association of Wales (FAW).

How can they open up proceedings to punish the FAW for their fans wearing poppies? It defies any sense of fairness. How can the FAW or anyone for that matter stop fans wearing poppies?

For once, I have some sympathy with FIFA. Commemorating war dead is a political issue and one country's "just war" is brutal oppression in another's eyes. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist and all that. They shouldn't have to be the judge of what's acceptable and what isn't.

I wrote in the current KOTK about how football seems to have become the moral guardian of war remembrance over the last few years. There are numerous opportunities to remember war dead and I really don't understand why football games seem to have become almost the main one.

For once, I have some sympathy with FIFA. Commemorating war dead is a political issue and one country's "just war" is brutal oppression in another's eyes. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist and all that. They shouldn't have to be the judge of what's acceptable and what isn't.

I wrote in the current KOTK about how football seems to have become the moral guardian of war remembrance over the last few years. There are numerous opportunities to remember war dead and I really don't understand why football games seem to have become almost the main one.

I agree. It's not often I agree with FIFA, but I do on this occasion

What would they do if Syria wanted to remember those that died in their civil war?

If we'd been playing Germany, I can see it's opportunity for provocation, or if Serbia had something similar when playing Bosnia. In these cases, especially England vs. Scotland it seems ludicrous but I can see why they'd need to do something about it.

The fans of the home nations should just monkey chant all the way through a game, will cost them less. That is how wrong far that FIFA have their sense of priorities.

FIFA are morally corrupt and they have the nerve to fine people trying to pay respect to the dead. Utter utter bunch of ****s.

Tosh. Utter tosh. Commemorating EVERY COUNTRIES war dead is not political. It's being something called 'human'. It only becomes political if people try and make it so.

That said, I agree with you about the football bit. I have no idea why they try and shoehorn in the commemoration.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.