Final Salary Pensions / Deficits / Benefits (long post)

It’s not possible for certain schemes (teachers, armed forces, NHS etc), but seeing as I’ve been doing them for 15 years then I’m fairly certain of how they are done.
Not sure if i'm doing this right - i rarely post. My girlie has been told she not allowed to t/f her DB pension - end of. Not the news she wanted on top of a terminal illness diagnosis.
I, however, spent 5 years working darn sarf and vowed i would not give one penny of my earnings to some flashy-dressed City of London based bookmaker (not a dig at you SWP) . I instead have some income-deriving assets based in the North West which is where i spend all my money - more than happy with my decision thanks

Excellent post Mate. Another reason why it’s important that those in DB schemes understand exactly where their pension value has got to, especially in the years running up to retirement. The government has been reducing the maximum pension pot value on a regular basis. Last time I looked it was £1m which although it seems a huge amount, can readily be achieved by someone who has been with the same employer for the duration of their career. If you breach the limit the tax on the excess is punitive.
That’s a great point mate and I should have included it in the OP.

Not sure if i'm doing this right - i rarely post. My girlie has been told she not allowed to t/f her DB pension - end of. Not the news she wanted on top of a terminal illness diagnosis.
I, however, spent 5 years working darn sarf and vowed i would not give one penny of my earnings to some flashy-dressed City of London based bookmaker (not a dig at you SWP) . I instead have some income-deriving assets based in the North West which is where i spend all my money - more than happy with my decision thanks
Sorry to hear about your partner.

Just FWIW, you can put anything you want into your SIPP (within reason), you could jut hold government treasury notes if you wanted to. And my OP wasn’t about taking out a pension over property or businesses but rather about letting people in DB schemes know their options.

I still remember the chap saying it now. In the early 90's a smart chap on finances made a statement that pensions will be screwed and it would start about now. Nothing i am seeing in the world is showing him to be wrong.

I have no pension tbh. I feel the urge to invest in my older years in another manner, not sure what though.

I still remember the chap saying it now. In the early 90's a smart chap on finances made a statement that pensions will be screwed and it would start about now. Nothing i am seeing in the world is showing him to be wrong.

I have no pension tbh. I feel the urge to invest in my older years in another manner, not sure what though.
Property or a balanced and well spread out stock portfolio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.