First ever job?

Those of you who know Stockport, do you remember where C&A used to be, there was a fruit and veg retailer in the middle of the walkway, well that's where I had my first job and I hated it.
An eleven hour day (7am-6pm) and got paid £7

Finished my A levels in June 74 and was due to start a uni sandwich course at a local Engineering firm in the Setember so thought I'd sign on the dole for the summer - Bast**ds found me a job as a Dustbin Man. These were the days of metal bins that you had to lift on your shoulder and empty into truck yourself - no wheely bins or lifting gear. Still the £34 a week came in very useful.

When I was 16 I left school and was due to start an apprenticeship in the September, so for the summer between May and Sept I worked at the airport for a catering company. My job was to stand at a conveyer belt and as a food tray passed by I would put a little carton of butter and milk in one of the plastic pots.. did that non stop for 8 hours a day.. was ok money in 98 about 5 pound an hour and I did loads of overtime so I was coming out with 300+ a week.. for a 16 year old kid it was great.. soon came to earth with a bump though when i was working all week for 65 quid as an apprentice.

paper boy, 12 years old i worked around 1 and a half hours evey morning for 7 days a week, i got paid £6 per week!!

worked on a carpet stall on newton heath market aged around 11, once id left school i worked at smiths grocers on old church street. then out of the blue came a carpet shop job at 17, no choice had to take it, smithey paid 5 quid a week carpet job £9, thank you i'll have that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.