Fishing

The Black Shed

Is there such a thing as a starter kit for fly fishing? I have about £50 for everything and probably you'll all say stick an extra 0 on that. Rod/line/couple flies/hooks/net. Saw a nice rod in a charity shop for a fiver but have no idea if fly rods are different from others. I couldn't tell one from t'other.

Thanking you

You could book a day or half day course. Google it they'll sort you out.
I tried that type of thing with a bird-of-prey-for-a-day experience. Loved it but still haven't bought a hawk!
Was in France recently with a trout river on my doorstep and made a vow next time to come back with some gear and give it a go. Free food!

Is there such a thing as a starter kit for fly fishing? I have about £50 for everything and probably you'll all say stick an extra 0 on that. Rod/line/couple flies/hooks/net. Saw a nice rod in a charity shop for a fiver but have no idea if fly rods are different from others. I couldn't tell one from t'other.

Thanking you
You can tell a fly rod. It has the reel seat at the bottom of the grip. Think you would struggle to kit out for £50 although maybe second hand or eBay. Some of the big retailers do deals- the internet is your friend. You need to decide where you are going to fish, river or still water as the equipment for each can be different. A rod and reel, you could get a decent entry level For £100. line from £15, fluorocarbon/nylon, flies, bag, net. You could be up and running for £150 new. If you are looking at keeping costs down, river is the way to go, research clubs in your area and speak to their secretary. Clubs sometimes have second hand gear for beginners and are usually happy to help with a bit of tuition and guidance.

It seems a bit daunting but mate, believe me it is worth it. It is the most wonderful pass time in the world.

Thanking you

You should stick bt sport 2 on just now, it's about fishing, just about to turn it off myself.

Yes fly rods are different, quick question why do you want to try fly fishing in particular ?
Seems like a very interactive way of fishing. You're in the water (so need to add waders to my list) sussing out the situation, the flow, the prey. I think the flies are pretty hypnotising though. The skill you need to get it to land just right. That sort of thing, better for me than watching a float bob up and down

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.