Fixtures and television (Letter to Khaldoon)

I sent this letter to Khaldoon in January. What are your views and what do you think his response was?

"At a time when I am enjoying some of the most exciting football from City in over 50 years of supporting them, I am writing to ask you to take some action on the important issue of television broadcasting and the consequent re-scheduling of games. It is an issue that is in grave danger of alienating those fans who have supported the club through thick and thin, particularly before the rise of the commercial sports television era.

Before I write anything else I want to assure you that I fully understand:

· The need for revenue from television broadcasting rights

· The need for you, in particular, to support globalisation of the game

· That I can sell my ticket if unable or unwilling to attend what I consider an anti-social time for a live game

· The need for City to make a profit for the owners

But, and with the above in my mind, I want to ask you to engage all Premier League clubs in discussing how to maximise or maintain television revenues while ensuring that those who enjoy watching football in the flesh are not further treated as inconsequential and at the bottom of the food chain.

I used to think that television companies were the sole agents in driving fixture changes, but it is now clear that the Premier League and the clubs that make up the league are the major proponents of the changes that occur. The December changes, bringing in matches at 7.45pm on Saturday, Bank Holidays and on more midweek dates are a step too far, particularly when you look at the factors already at play, namely:

· Friday night games

· Saturday 5.30pm kick-offs

· Inability to plan in advance for holidays, family events, etc.

· Hidden costs, e.g. hotels, for travelling fans

· Sunday kick-offs at 4.30pm

· Cup final fixtures on Saturday or Sunday nights in London

The final insult is the inability in the UK to watch any Premier League match live, even though they can be seen in almost any other country in the world. Any fan that has to travel any distance, as I do, is particularly affected by these one-sided terms, being adversely affected either by being unable to attend live games or being unable to watch them live on TV.

I very nearly gave up my season ticket at the end of last season because of the above facts. I only continued because of my belief in what Pep Guardiola would bring to the club. Exciting as his impact is, I shall not be renewing for next season unless I see a stance being taken by clubs to try to achieve a balanced deal for clubs, television and the fans themselves. You have a chance to take the lead on this matter. If I do give up then my only fear is that, if City don’t win it this year, I will never see the team win the Champions League – I’ve seen them win everything else!

In conclusion, I am seeking confirmation from you (and you personally, not another employee) that you will make a positive commitment to a fairer deal for fans – and in a way such that you make it clearly visible to fans that your commitment is real, with a plan of action. I would be very happy to meet you to discuss my points and further elaborate on what I believe should happen, if that would be of help to you and Manchester City.

I look forward to hearing from you.
So what was his response?

Was it how much you were prepared to pay to watch football at 3 pm? Something about swiping a redeemable loyalty point card on your way out after 90 minutes? Go on then.

You can't complain about games being on tv then complain about all games not being on tv. It would be better if there were none on tv rather than shitting on the grass routes for your convenience.

Bring back traditional 2 pm kick-offs and Chistmas Day/Boxing Day reverse hammerings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.