for techies only

Discussion in 'Technical queries' started by roach3, 13 Feb 2017.

1. roach3

roach3

correct, it just looped on safemode menu but at that point I thought it was just a corrupt mbr
    and I agree there will be no software to repair a drive as knackered as this one

2. TCIB

TCIB

Sicario
    The click of death it is then. Unless he wants to spend silly money the drive is dead zed :-(

R.I.P hdd, you will not be forgotten.

3. lancs blue

lancs blue

I think the dos command was

chkdsk /r

It attempts to move bad sectors or bad data to a different address and renders the original address unusable.

Also, you've probably looked at this but is it possible that the problems are connected to extreme levels of fragmentation as this can cause all sorts of odd behaviour, especially on older hdds.

4. roach3

roach3

Gave the poor women the bad news
    And gave her a little tutorial about making backups

9 years of photos gone
    she couldn't afford professional retrieval

A lesson for all methinks

Thanks for the replies guys

5. TCIB

TCIB

Sicario
    That sucks. Don't bin the drive, keep it in a ziplock with a sachet of silica gel. That is a lot of pics for most people, and if they take em they usually enjoy that stuff so i feel very bad for her. What you can do is get a replacement circuit board. Is it the rhythmic and evenly timed click of death? if so a fresh circuit board can fix it.

It is usa based but for 9yrs of pics the wait is worth it... http://onepcbsolution.com/