For those that saw both live who was better?

How great is it that we can chat about Bell, Silva & De Bruyne in the same breath, all such fantastic players all will be ingrained in our history for ever...! Bell,Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero stands at the Etihad??

Yea. As an old fan it all seems a dream after decades of nightmares.

All fantastic players.

I think back on players like Pardoe, Lake and Bell (just to name three from our history) and other good players in those times whose careers were ended or severely hampered by the kind of injuries that now can be fixed in weeks or months.

Ag
Yea. As an old fan it all seems a dream after decades of nightmares.

All fantastic players.

I think back on players like Pardoe, Lake and Bell (just to name three from our history) and other good players in those times whose careers were ended or severely hampered by the kind of injuries that now can be fixed in weeks or months.
totally agree with you mate, I read Paul Lakes book and it was so sad in parts, he was a genius in the making, laughed like fuck when he was describing getting a lift to a game on a Boxing Day, they passed a flatbed truck on the way and there was a full kiddies paddling pool on the back full of pissed up City fans .. Still chuckle thinking about it, happy happy days

Best really was something else. /QUOTE]
Glyn Pardoe agrees with this comment.

@crazyg, it so happens that I was at that match (maybe you were too – I see that you're three years older than me). Scoreboard end, at a time when it was the only end of the ground that was uncovered, unless my memory is playing tricks on me. In amongst the City fans. I remember walking away from that match feeling as satisfied as I've ever felt from any match against United. We smashed them. At that point, most of us were unaware just how serious the injury on Glyn Pardoe was. I certainly don't think anyone thought it was a career-ending tackle. And to be fair to the man, Best was never a vicious, Keane-type player. I'm pretty sure it was unintentional, and that he was sorry about the effect of it. Best was Buzzer's best mate at the time, let us not forget.

Last edited:

@crazyg, it so happens that I was at that match (maybe you were too – I see that you're three years older than me). Scoreboard end, at a time when it was the only end of the ground that was uncovered, unless my memory is playing tricks on me. In amongst the City fans. I remember walking away from that match feeling as satisfied as I've ever felt from any match against United. We smashed them. At that point, most of us were unaware just how serious the injury on Glyn Pardoe was. I certainly don't think anyone thought it was a career-ending tackle. And to be fair to the man, Best was never a vicious, Keane-type player. I'm pretty sure it was unintentional, and that he was sorry about the effect of it. Best was Buzzer's best mate at the time, let us not forget.
That's why you should never have rag mates !!

You're quite right. I was at that match, also in the scoreboard end, and I remember it vividly. I remember at the time going apeshit over the "tackle", which didn't even warrant a foul by the referee. The match was stopped only when Derek Jeffries body - checked (?)Denis Law to get the trainers on. If it hadn't been for Sydney Rose , a City director at the time, and also a surgeon, who assessed the injury and immediately got him to hospital and operated on him, there was a strong possibility that he might not only have lost his leg, but also his life, as the injuries were so severe.
Apparently, if you look at the video of the incident, you can see Mike Doyle (RIP) mouthing the words "you dirty bastard" as Best went into the challenge. Had it not been for Tony Book and Brian Kidd holding Doyle back, Best would have been the "subject of an assault" by Doyle, as he was that incensed.
I am prepared to accept that Best didn't mean to cause the injury (it's taken me over 45 years to calm down!), but he certainly wasn't going for the ball. In fact, the following Wednesday, against Palace (I think) at the swamp, he committed an identical lunge/"tackle" on a Palace player, and was booked.
I never heard of an apology - Glyn may have. The fact that Buzzer was his mate is,to me, irrelevant, as it was an out of control lunge, as bad as Keane's.
Like you, I was happy with the result (we won again there), but incensed over what happened.

And breathe!

Last edited:
i have asked my boss in work who did he think was the best player he watched in the 1970s and he said there were 2, one was Bell and the other was Best.
wish i was around to see Bell play. The only bits ive seen of him are the few grainy videos on you tube.

Agree with a lot you say but I've watched De Bruyne knock out half a dozen passes this season alone that were better than the magic mans pass in the 6-1 drubbing of the rags..!
From the day Kevin joined, you could see that his long diagonal along the ground raking cross is his signature move. Up to everyone else to get on the end of it.

Disagree, Silva is renowned for dropping into pockets of space and being hard to pick up.its a huge part of his game

This and you surely wouldn't waste Bell's talent with a man-marking job. It's been tried against Silva before with mixed success, better off trying to put a couple of players on closing down his forward passing options when in possession but unfortunately with our team that means leaving space for some other very gifted players :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.