For those that saw both live who was better?

It’s like comparing a great steak with a magnificent claret, both excellent but better still together. The King would be able to attack, defend and score. Merlin is the ultimate playmaker who would supply the chances for the likes of Colin & Franny

yep. this isn't a sleight on Colin, he was incredible, but we have to remember the speed and demands on players now, Dave's consistency at the level he provides is something I have never seen. i feel honoured to have seen both in my lifetime.

Absolutely right Bill but Colin would be subject to modern day regimes, training, diet etc.

I only saw Bell after the Buchan tackle and injury (and I was only 7). So not sure my view is any good.

My dad saw both and he thought Bell was the best he had ever seen, but he had to stop going in 2014 and was too ill to even watch on telly in the last few years, so didnt see the longevity of silva.

For what its worth my Grandad thought woosnam was better than Bell (and any other footballer who had ever lived)
you were robbed of seeing something very special.

Different players. Bell was a true box-to-box midfielder who didn't have the silky skills of Silva but could run/sprint all day, had a great passing range and regularly scored in double figures. He'd have been the key player in a Pep team.

Think a combination of Yaya, Fernandinho and Gundogan.

Correct Colin

Has anyone else received banner ads for Gran Canaria on this thread?

Bell scored with both feet as well as being excellent in the air. That said, Silva wins an inordinate amount of headers for a man his size.

Who would I back though, were I forced to choose a player to win us a massively impoortant game - that’s easy: YaYa.

Let's be accurate here. Colin was very right footed, did not score goals on his left side. Memory can play games at times.

Bell. No contest. In direct opposition bell would have stopped silva operating, silva could not have stopped bell.

yep. this isn't a sleight on Colin, he was incredible, but we have to remember the speed and demands on players now, Dave's consistency at the level he provides is something I have never seen. i feel honoured to have seen both in my lifetime.
Yeh, but could Dave do it on a cold night in York on a midden of a 60s pitch, not the bowling greens they play on now, Colin could !

Bell. No contest. In direct opposition bell would have stopped silva operating, silva could not have stopped bell.

Yeh, but could Dave do it on a cold night in York on a midden of a 60s pitch, Colin could !

Both good and very valid points. Pitches were much heavier in those days. Silva couldn't have played on the sort of pitches we saw towards the end of winter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.