Foreign Fans

I'd have to say i envy the local fans in Manchester that get to watch the games in person and just say that I would love the opportunity to go every week, I went to the Houston game as my first in person and it was amazing, I grew up in the southern US and football (soccer) was not a popular sport, surprisingly it was labeled a girl sport because most high schools only fielded girl teams (cause all boys were expected to play baseball and American football) which is crazy because soccer is very physical and requires more skill and technique, I came across Man City in 2009 while serving in Iraq, we were stationed with some British soldiers and I became friends with a city supporter and started to watch when we had some down time, if that makes me a glory hunter than so be it, I just enjoy coming on here with like minded people and doing all I can to support...

I generally hate threads like this because as an American with no known ties to England, it usually ends up with people saying I'm not a "true" fan and calling me & folks like me "plastic" or "glory hunters".
That said, I'm extremely happy to see how many people are accepting of us foreign fans, so thank you for that.

I actually wanted my daughter to play basketball, but she only wanted to play soccer (stop judging me for calling it that, LOL), so I made the decision to learn as much about the game as I could, which meant watching games every weekend.

I made the decision to not just choose a team arbitrarily, but to just keep watching and let a team choose me. I don't know if it was the Sky Blue jersey, my growing hate for that other team with Manchester in their name, watching YaYa boss the game, or most likely a combination of the above, but when I found myself living & dying with every kick & getting angry with the bias I heard from the commentators, I KNEW I was a blue.

Ultimately, I LOVE this team and know that I always will. I'll never know what it was like to grow up as a City fan prior to the takeover or to be in the Etihad for every home match, but I DO know I just drove a total of 12 hours to watch MY team play in a meaningless friendly just so I could see them play LIVE. I don't know when, but I WILL be coming to Manchester & the Etihad to catch a game, my only requirement, sit me somewhere I can sing along!

I enjoyed reading @Psychedelic Casual casuals post and agree with a lot of aspects but for me it basically comes down to wherever you buy into the club or not and form emotional attachments.
If you do then I consider you a blue regardless of where you're from.
I can't be arsed with those who are cold and unfeeling when it comes to their support. Without emotion the game is worthless.

I'd have to say i envy the local fans in Manchester that get to watch the games in person and just say that I would love the opportunity to go every week, I went to the Houston game as my first in person and it was amazing, I grew up in the southern US and football (soccer) was not a popular sport, surprisingly it was labeled a girl sport because most high schools only fielded girl teams (cause all boys were expected to play baseball and American football) which is crazy because soccer is very physical and requires more skill and technique, I came across Man City in 2009 while serving in Iraq, we were stationed with some British soldiers and I became friends with a city supporter and started to watch when we had some down time, if that makes me a glory hunter than so be it, I just enjoy coming on here with like minded people and doing all I can to support...

That is a great story mate and I am glad you enjoyed your first game. City fans come in all shapes and sizes and there are no set rules how you have to fall in love with the club.

Keep posting and enjoy the ride.

I grew up playing football (soccer :)), but where I'm from (North Dakota) it's just an entirely different world. I played two months of the year and quit by the time I was 11 or 12 as my friends didn't want to play anymore. I would become what I suppose you could call a "World Cup fan" and I assume that started in '94. I got into FIFA on the 32/64 bit consoles and perhaps there was some foreshadowing into my future love of the sport when I purchased Ultimate Soccer Manager in the late 90's. I played a lot of the football simulations in the late 90's/early 2000s, but finally ran across Championship Manager/FM in 2004. Initially it was a bit overwhelming for me, but I became absolutely addicted to the game in 2006 and I've purchased every iteration since.

I'm a more than casual fan of many sports and I follow pretty much all of the local Minnesota/Minneapolis teams in some capacity. When I decided to adopt a Premier League club there was nothing even comparable around me - I'm literally hundreds of miles away from the nearest big city and Minneapolis only had a 2nd division club that didn't televise matches and I can only assume had a very speculative online presence. A struggling student that wants to start following footie does not then decide to drive 500 miles roundtrip to follow a club that was most likely going to plunder. Instead, he buys a cable TV package for the first time to take advantage of Fox Soccer Channel. That would allow me to watch at least a handful of matches of the same club (omg wow!!1) over the course of a season.

My join date will always make me feel a bit uncomfortable, but it is when I started following the club. However, I didn't choose City because they were recently bought by the Sheikh and were destined for glory. I didn't know anything about the takeover before my decision was made, I didn't know about Robinho, and I sure as hell didn't know City were going to become one of the largest clubs in the world. I don't consider myself a glory hunter at all, that's just not what happened. The number one factor in my decision to follow the club was because by default I was supposed to choose United and I decided to do the opposite. The rags are the New York Yankees equivalent and I fucking hate the Yankees. I also loved the sky blue of city's kits. That's really how it started and I will not be apologizing for it going down that way anytime soon. :)

Fast forward a bit and I have to believe I'm one of the biggest American superfans of the club. I will do whatever it takes to catch any City match. I once spent 10 dollars so I could download our preseason match against AC Millan from a file sharing site and over the years I have spent thousands on satellite TV. Before CityWatch was around I followed 'The Lonesome Death of Roy Carroll' blog by Jack Pitt-Brooke. Speaking of CityWatch, it caused me to sign up for Twitter, which is something I thought I would never do. And it's the only account I follow. I have to avoid spoilers like you wouldn't believe, we all have to over here. I work a regular hours job and avoiding the European results is especially treacherous. I'm a single dad of a young one and often have to watch our league matches late at night after she has gone to bed. Doing these kinds of things involves me having to turn off Twitter notifications, avoid Blue Moon, and not click on half of my Chrome favorites.

I've only met one person that I can talk about football with face to face - imagine that! He's a recent co-worker of mine and lucky for me he's an Arsenal fan. I have been giving him grief over Sanchez even before his interest became apparent. I streamed the Vodacom Challenge, I've listened to many FA cup matches on BBC Radio, and I've paid hundreds of dollars in shipping-only to get apparel from the official City store.

I wouldn't ask the longtime local fans to take me in as their own, but to only accept me for what I am and know what the club means to me. I didn't grow up with it, but it's become a gigantic part of my life and who I am now. And unless my internet is choked off there is nothing that will change that - CTID. If my poor ass ever makes it over there I hope I can shake hands with many of you.
Total respect.

I generally hate threads like this because as an American with no known ties to England, it usually ends up with people saying I'm not a "true" fan and calling me & folks like me "plastic" or "glory hunters".
That said, I'm extremely happy to see how many people are accepting of us foreign fans, so thank you for that.

I actually wanted my daughter to play basketball, but she only wanted to play soccer (stop judging me for calling it that, LOL), so I made the decision to learn as much about the game as I could, which meant watching games every weekend.

I made the decision to not just choose a team arbitrarily, but to just keep watching and let a team choose me. I don't know if it was the Sky Blue jersey, my growing hate for that other team with Manchester in their name, watching YaYa boss the game, or most likely a combination of the above, but when I found myself living & dying with every kick & getting angry with the bias I heard from the commentators, I KNEW I was a blue.

Ultimately, I LOVE this team and know that I always will. I'll never know what it was like to grow up as a City fan prior to the takeover or to be in the Etihad for every home match, but I DO know I just drove a total of 12 hours to watch MY team play in a meaningless friendly just so I could see them play LIVE. I don't know when, but I WILL be coming to Manchester & the Etihad to catch a game, my only requirement, sit me somewhere I can sing along!

well to a living hell 8-)

My story is similar to many others on here in different aspects, and I've had the pleasure to share it with quite a few members who I've mutually engaged in PMs with the last couple of years.

I played the sport in my youth but gave it up around the time I was 11 or 12 because I focused more on basketball and baseball. As you all know, the support for the game here in America has greatly improved over the years but I didn't really get into it until the 2010 World Cup, when I was 15. There was just something about it that drew me in and I've yet to give it up. While that was international footy, I was well aware that club football was huge in Europe and figured if I'm going to follow the sport I need a team to support.

The Premier League seemed like an obvious place to look, not needing to worry about a language barrier and being able to watch more matches. I had plenty of friends who already followed the English and European action and as you can guess, they all followed teams like the rags, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, and Real Madrid. I just didn't want to follow a team that seemingly everyone else liked.

So I started watching during the 10/11 season, and caught a City game. It was the 1-0 against Chelsea early in the season, Tevez with the lone goal. I started tuning in when possible and catching highlights as soon as they came on the site, and I was hooked. The likes of Tevez, Silva, Toure, Dzeko were a joy to watch and I really can't explain what it was, but I just felt a connection.

The following summer I bought my first City shirts, an Aguero home shirt and Mario away. I wore that Aguero home shirt watching the QPR game and *that* goal was an unbelievable feeling and one that jumped me off the couch and running around the house, I will forever wonder what it could have felt like at the Etihad, I can only imagine for some of you how joyous it was.

I follow American sports very closely and can honestly say I follow European footy as close as I do any major sport over here, and City just like I do my hometown baseball and american football teams. City Watch is the only account I've ever had notifications for and once I found out about Bluemoon I joined in an instant. As I mentioned, not a lot of my friends are City fans so you lot make talking about the club a helluva lot better.

I got to see City play against my local side, Sporting Kansas City, the last time they came to the U.S. in 2014. As great of a time as it was, I cannot wait for the day that I travel to Manchester and see God's own team play in the living flesh. I'm only 22 and just graduated from my university so it will take some time to save up, but I look forward to the day that I'll be able to meet some of you, and will be sure to ask for tips about Manchester and where to have a drink before (and after) the match. Roll on the new season

P

Great post. Always vacancies for singers. Does your daughter still play? We have a great ladies team too , if she needs something to aim for!

I married my wife who grew up in Moss Side as a child and has been a life long City fan. Same with the rest of her family. When I met her nearly 14 years ago, City of course were still pretty shit. I think it was the season under Pearce where they just about managed to stay up when I really fell for City. My wedding gift by her Unlce was a City Shirt. I had no choice really. :)

My favourite memory so far was going to see City play at home against Everton. We were in the family stand between the Away Fans and the singing corner of the City fans. I thought the banter between the two fans was hilarious. I remember City were losing 0:1 and there was this fat Everton fan who was topless shouting abuse at the City fans.

Soon after City scored and then scored again and a shout from the City corner went "WHAT'S THE SCORE NOW, FATTY?" ... it was a great night.

My favourite match, that I went to, was the UEFA Cup game at home against Hamburg, the atmosphere was just superb.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.