Forgotten Clubs

Way back in the 1960`s I remember Barrow being in the FL.
20131201-184127.jpg

Barrow FC and Workington Town were the one's that first came to my mind too
It was no coincidence that these two clubs (and Southport to a lesser extent) were not re-elected into the league. They were very awkward places to get to back then (some may argue they still are!)
They were the three clubs who lost re-elections in the 70's and were replaced by Hereford, Wigan and Wimbledon.
Cambridge United replaced Bradford Park Ave in 1970 after they went bust.

Last edited:
It was no coincidence that these two clubs (and Southport to a lesser extent) were not re-elected into the league. They were very awkward places to get to back then (some may argue they still are!)
They were the three clubs who lost re-elections in the 70's and were replaced by Hereford, Wigan and Wimbledon.
Hereford being a piece of piss to get to, of course. ;-)

More recently Rushden and Diamonds, bankrolled by the bloke behind Doc Martens boots, faded back to obscurity as quickly as they rose.

Manchester Central FC (MCFC)
Formed to replace City's absence in east Manchester after the move to Maine Road. Played at Belle Vue in the Lancashire Combination and included Billy Meredith in the set up.
Applied to join the Football League and this rankled with the rags - who with dwindling gates, saw Central as a threat to their survival. The rags asked City to vote to block Central's bid for a place in the League and City agreed.... Central were denied a place and soon folded.
I'm sure @Gary James can provide a more detailed account.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.