Franny Lee - the player

Mike N

I just missed seeing Franny play for City but was always aware he was a top player. Every time I see old games on YouTube I always notice his directness and ability on the ball, coupled with a determination and nastiness every great player has. I think he could have played in any era for City.

I just missed seeing Franny play for City but was always aware he was a top player. Every time I see old games on YouTube I always notice his directness and ability on the ball, coupled with a determination and nastiness every great player has. I think he could have played in any era for City.
Great player,I remember being at old Trafford when he scored hat-trick one with his right foot then his left and finished off with a header,4-1 win December 70.

Last edited:
an incredible player. tough as old boots and could play a bit. he complimented our attack so well.
he sure could have played in any era.

Great player,I remember being at old Trafford when he scored hat-trick one with his right foot then his left and finished off with a header,4-1 win December 70.

I remember watching that game on the morning of the Sick Swan. I wished we had someone like him playing for us that day. Fortunately, we didn't need him!

A genuine City great.

And yet one of my favourite Franny goals was when he walloped one in for Derby at Maine Road!

Wonderful player.

Although Frannie seems to be remembered by other teams' fans for winning and scoring penalties he was a cracking footballer - very strong and fast, hard to knock off the ball and possessed a very powerful shot in his right foot. As well as the hat-trick at the swamp mentioned earlier I also recall another hat-trick at home to Wolves (71/72) when he nearly burst the net with one of his goals at the Platt Lane end, one of the hardest shots I've seen. He was outstanding in the League Cup win against WBA in 1970 and in the Cup Winners Cup Final the same year. We let him go too soon of course, and he went on to win another league title with Derby.

Tevez was probably the closest we've had to Franny in recent years although Franny could probably beat a man better than Carlos. My dad idolised Franny and it was one of the highlights of his life when he sat next to him at a mutual friend's son's wedding.

Tevez was probably the closest we've had to Franny in recent years although Franny could probably beat a man better than Carlos. My dad idolised Franny and it was one of the highlights of his life when he sat next to him at a mutual friend's son's wedding.

AS opened this last page I was thinking he was the Tevez of his day, and lo and behold, PB beats me to it!

Seem to remember the media fawning over their centre half Steve James in the week before the match (see, nothing changes over the years in that respect), as he was proudly boasting that he was "potentially the best centre half in Europe". After Franny's hat-trick, Brian Kidd scored to make it 1 -4, and the open end (where we were) burst into spontaneous derisory applause.
Gerald Sinstadt mentioned the "sporting" City fans - we were taking the piss!
Didn't Mike Doyle open the scoring at the Stretford End?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.