Fred(Signed for United)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinho was box to box at Shakhtar.

Yes, we all know that, but that's got nothing to do with my original post, which was wondering if Fred might cause issues for Gundogan short term, as he is naturally suited to playing as one of the 2 midfielders ahead of Fernandinho, and as Fernandinho isn't going anywhere any time soon, Fred isn't going to replace him over night, while Silva is still going back and forth between Valencia and Manchester, Fred might get the nod over Gundogan if he hits the ground running.

I like to see it from a different angle.
2016/17 Gundogan came in to compete with Fernandinho for the sole DMposition. Yaya was on his way out but due to the fact Gundogan came in injured and with Yaya hard to offload, Yaya stayed around. Yaya saw more playing time arose due to Gundogan suffering another long term injury. We held on to Yaya who btw played more than decent with Fernandinho’s performance dropping.
2017/18 Yaya’s role seems over or at least reduced to domestic cup competitions as the level of the team rose significantly and Yaya unable to step up. Still it had to be seen how Gundogan would restart after these long term injuries and it turned out he needed and probably still needs time. With Fernandinho ticking and Gundogan still not able to be put in as a Fernandinho replacement yet due to different and more physical demands, the club seemed forced to get a new player in. Fred might be playing in a more foreword role at Shakhtar, Pep always seems to put players from a more foreword way of thinking in a more defensive kind of position. He doesn’t look for DM that are better at defending. He looks at the ones able to make the team tick when pressing and regaining the ball.

So I’d like to think both Gundogan and Fred will compete for the DM role soon. However this “theory” doesn’t make sense now that Fernandinho extended his contract only to have Fernandinho, Gundogan AND Fred to compete for places. From that point your comment does make sense concerning Gundogan. And that is without Foden and Diaz in the mix while I think they will be in it ver much so next year.

The problem for me is that Gundogan has been better the close he's been to the striker. In some of his best games, like Barca, Napoli and Spurs, he's almost been playing off Aguero. He's been OK in Silva's position but left us vulnerable at times, and in 2 years I don't think Pep's ever felt comfortable playing him as the sole defensive midfielder.

So although Pep might have thought he could do it, I'm not sure he can in practice.

No...he's a box to box midfielder, he's not a 6 in anyone's definition.

And our box to box midfielders are the 2 players infront of Fernandinho.

Fred played as a DM in both games against us.

The slight 'worry' I have is I'm not sure he quite has the mobility/acceleration of Dinho to fully take on the sole DM role as well as Dinho has. In that sense he's kind of inbetween Gundogan & Dinho.

I'm sure he'll play alongside Dinho and KDB sometimes
For instance if we were to replay the Anfield game with him I think both Brazilians in CM would give us more stability without sacrificing too much in an attacking sense as Fred has a really nice pass on him and good close control

Fred played as a DM in both games against us.

The slight 'worry' I have is I'm not sure he quite has the mobility/acceleration of Dinho to fully take on the sole DM role as well as Dinho has. In that sense he's kind of inbetween Gundogan & Dinho.

I'm sure he'll play alongside Dinho and KDB sometimes
For instance if we were to replay the Anfield game with him I think both Brazilians in CM would give us more stability without sacrificing too much in an attacking sense as Fred has a really nice pass on him and good close control
Is... is he... is he Fernando?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.