French Airport strike and Cancellations/Flight Insurance

The Fat el Hombre

I was supposed to travel to carcassonne tomorrow to start a little journey to monaco next week but I've just received a text saying that my flight is cancelled. At this point I'm not arsed about that I just want to pick up my trip in Nimes on Sunday the 12th. I've seen a flight to toulouse on Saturday (I can have a day there then go to nimes on the sunday by train), however I think this is still during the french strike (currently seeing conflicting reports on how long the strike will last??)? Obviously I don't want to book another flight and it be cancelled! The flight is with flybe

So if anyone can give me some advice on
1 - will the flybe insurance cover me if the flight is cancelled because of this strike (their operators are currently busy and they told me to ring later)
2 - how late can they leave it before cancelling the flight? I'm assuming it can be as late as they want?
3 - does anyone know for sure when the strike ends or have any more info on it?

4 any more info welcome

Hi mate,

I went to Paris this weekend just gone, had a bloody nightmare with flights. I booked the flights for me and the missus, through flybe, however the flights were 'air france'. Going there, Saturday morning was fine, we were meant to be coming back Monday night, CDG to MAN at 20:50. The flight was cancelled at 20:00 and we were told that there was possibly a replacement flight later that night (which eventually turned out to be 01:30 in the morning) or we could go onto a flight to Birmingham and they would put a coach of for the 20 lucky people who got on that flight.

We decided to go to Birmingham instead, that flight was delayed an hour because of all the new passengers luggage being put onto the plane. When we arrived in Birmingham, ourselves and 4 other parties had all lost our luggage, which delayed the coach taking us home by an hour and a half. The coach driver got lost on the way to MAN (we ended up in Runcorn because of the road closures) and we eventually got home at 02:30 English time.

We contacted Flybe's compensation line the next morning, the lost bag had been redelivered to us by lunch time and we were both compensated £220 (each) because of the cancellation. In fairness to Flybe they dealt with it very quickly, the money is already in my account and so on. I was told on the phone the industrial action is planned up until Friday, but should be back to normal from this weekend onwards (however, knowing what the French our like they might continue it to have an extra few days off work!!). The £220 was slightly less then what we paid for the return flights so I was satisfied with that amount, we got return travel for £7.80 each.

In answer to your questions: 1 - I don't think so, but they are subject to a European law that states they must compensate passengers who's flight has been cancelled (hence why we were paid).

2 - well it was under an hour in our case, so I'd presume they can cancel it whenever they want.

3 - officially it's meant to be Friday, but wouldn't put my mortgage on that.

Can't thank you enough for that mate. So basically don't delay booking it as they can cancel any time, hopefully the strike will stop tomorrow but don't count on it, but I can hook the flight anyway cos flyby are likely to compensate me should it be cancelled? That the just of it (just checking in case I've misunderstood anything as the offer of a post work pint after seemingly having my trip cancelled was too much to resist!!). @Manchester33

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.