Friends who just disappear

20 years is the same

Life's short

I couldn't see myself being interested in seeing someone for the first time in twenty years with the exception of something extraordinary. I'm 37 and believe I have two genuine friends from that time left. If someone else got in touch to meet then I'd be suspicious to their motive.

Some sad tales in here. Has anyone had a good friendship that has last 20,30,40 years?

My main fiends 4 of them, I see 2 a couple of times a year, 1 of them is now abroad. The other 2 I see regularly we play golf badly, very badly 2 or 3 times a month in summer and go out on the piss roughly once a month over winter & try to go on holiday once a year together.

There was a 5th one of us, we all met via work in the mid 80's but he culled us all and try as we did he was so hard work we decided to accept he'd be better off away from us as he was the friction point of arguments and turned into a right twat I'm afraid.

I'm still good mates with 5 lads I went to school with. My best man was someone I've known since I was 2, and even though I'm married with 2 kids (he's single), we still see each other a couple of times a month.

We all have a group WhatsApp chat that's used daily, but I don't see the rest more than 3 times a year probably.

Some sad tales in here. Has anyone had a good friendship that has last 20,30,40 years?

Yup. One of my best friends I went to nursery school, primary school and secondary school with. So that's 53 years. Another I met at 14 (43 years ago) playing football and when he became manager of a Sunday league team 32 years ago he signed a lad I'm still mates with. I speak to them all 4 or 5 times a week. On Thursday we're all off to Hereford for 5 days for the start of the fishing season.

Half the time people say they will be there for you just in gesture rather than actually be sincere about it! For most words are more than enough comfort, but when it comes to actions they haven't got a clue how to deal with it!

I've never offered support to people I don't think I can offer them the comfort they need! Recently an old school friend of mine who I haven't seen for 14 years, but recently got back in touch over facebook announced that his baby had died (due to complications from birth). I offered him support and if he needed it I'd still be willing to offer it him!

Pisses me off when people live on false promises and words, I've had friends and family a like who have let me down in the past and they don't realise what it can do to someone mentally!

I couldn't see myself being interested in seeing someone for the first time in twenty years with the exception of something extraordinary. I'm 37 and believe I have two genuine friends from that time left. If someone else got in touch to meet then I'd be suspicious to their motive.

That's interesting, I felt the same. In 2000, I was contacted by a chap I went to primary school with who, for some unknown reason, had decided to organise a reunion of the kids who had been there 30 years before. It was, frankly, the least appealing idea I had ever heard. Out of politeness I said that if he organised it, i'd come thinking there was no chance. My only mate from that time refused point blank.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he did organise it, it was very well attended and it was one of the best days of my life. The mannerisms of kids that you hadn't seen for years were exactly the same. The oddballs were still oddballs and the pretty girls were (mostly) still pretty. There was something wholly uplifting about it and, whilst I have only kept in touch with one girl, it was a truly wonderful experience.

Guys this may sound odd.. but ive culled friends from my youth ... however, to put into perspective from the age of 21 I've travelled all over the world for months and years at a time with my job sometimes not home for years ... My friend circle now consists of my local family... from my GF and her family and my family in the uk i facebook.... i was once told that it doesnt matter how long you've known someone ... if there good people ... i still have good memories but i know it will never be the same for us ... one day i may be proved wrong ...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.