FTSE-100 Index

The outcome of the negotiations really hinge on the relative strengths of politics over economics when it comes to the hard graft of haggling. The EU has been stressing politics over economics, that Britain's departure has weakened EU unity and she must be punished for it, she cannot be seen to benefit from Brexit and she will not.

We've been banging out the economic "why cut off your nose to spite your face" argument, so we've had the Governor of the Bank of England talking up the importance of the City and Hammond stressing the importance of the UK as a market for EU goods and threatening to turn us into a tax haven. Boris tried this in his early days as foreign secretary but stopped when he insulted every European he spoke to.

Pivotal to this is Germany, all the indications are she's full square behind the political argument, but if she could be persuaded by the economics we would get a much easier ride. Theresa May might, though these are early days, be trying to position herself as honest broker between Trump and Merkel. Trump, even by his own standards, seems overly keen to pick a fight with Germany for no apparent reason, conspirator theorist say it's all to do with Russia, but regardless, something is going on. If May could patch things up between the two of them, turn the gas down on it, or at the very least get Trump to stop threatening German car manufacturers, then Merkel might be a bit more persuadable over Brexit. It should be remembered that Obama bypassed the UK when dealing with Europe and was very pally with Merkel, that's not how the special relationship is supposed to work and it is one of the reasons Farage talks so scathingly about Obama. If the Anglo Saxon conspiracy (as the French call it) is going to be dusted off and back on the road and May plays her cards right we might come out of this Brexit bullshit with our trousers, if not our shirt.
It could be trade deals with the USA who we actually make a profit out of may be more beneficial than any trade deals we have with the European Union who consistently have our pants down never mind our shirts. To talk of we must be punished all seems sort of juvenile when you consider the balance of trade between the parties involved,sort of saying to somebody you sell stuff at a profit I'm not going to sell to you even though I'll be out of work be doing it.reminds me a lot of when Wilson sold Centurion tanks to the Israelis but refused to sell them ammunition guess what they did then, made their bloody own and put us out of the market.

It could be trade deals with the USA who we actually make a profit out of may be more beneficial than any trade deals we have with the European Union who consistently have our pants down never mind our shirts. To talk of we must be punished all seems sort of juvenile when you consider the balance of trade between the parties involved,sort of saying to somebody you sell stuff at a profit I'm not going to sell to you even though I'll be out of work be doing it.reminds me a lot of when Wilson sold Centurion tanks to the Israelis but refused to sell them ammunition guess what they did then, made their bloody own and put us out of the market.

I think you and I might agree that the British people might not have voted to leave the Common Market, it was the EU the 17 million wanted to leave. I suspect you would like us to be negotiating the terms of our departure with the Common Market rather than the EU and in truth, given the circumstances, so would I, because the argument would be primarily economic, but we will, unfortunately, be negotiating with the European Union. We've damaged that union and if that, rather than economics, is the primary dynamic of the negotiations then things might not go well for us.

I think you and I might agree that the British people might not have voted to leave the Common Market, it was the EU the 17 million wanted to leave. I suspect you would like us to be negotiating the terms of our departure with the Common Market rather than the EU and in truth, given the circumstances, so would I, because the argument would be primarily economic, but we will, unfortunately, be negotiating with the European Union. We've damaged that union and if that, rather than economics, is the primary dynamic of the negotiations then things might not go well for us.
I 100% agree that had the EU been a trading partnership the British people would have voted to remain within it, incidentally I don't think being tied into a European market proved a great benefit for British Industry, what let it down was when it was turned into a political union could be part of the British makeup in that Europe over the centuries has caused us a fair bit of grief we have a bit of mistrust of their motives.

Now that many world stock markets are in correction territory, is it a buying opportunity or are we heading for a long term bear market?

Now that many world stock markets are in correction territory, is it a buying opportunity or are we heading for a long term bear market?
No such thing as a long term bear market mate.

It’s always a good time to invest so long as your timescales are long term. If you had invested in a bog standard equity portfolio on the worst day in 2007 you’d have still doubled your money ten years later (dividends reinvested).

No such thing as a long term bear market mate.

It’s always a good time to invest so long as your timescales are long term. If you had invested in a bog standard equity portfolio on the worst day in 2007 you’d have still doubled your money ten years later (dividends reinvested).
I guess long term is the wrong expression. I’m thinking more than a few months. E.g 2000-2003

There are times when cash is king and imho this is one. Don’t buy this dip and sell the rallies

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.