Gabriel Jesus - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general feeling in Brazil about him, is he expected to progress into being one of your greats?

Absolutely. General feeling is that he prolly will start reaching his full potential next season (right around the WC in Russia), after a whole season under Guardiola's wings.

After Neymar, he is already regarded here as our best player.

Thanks for the translation. Please keep em coming, I'm quite interested in the Brazilian perspective with regards to Jesus and City.

He is getting a lot of love by our media. Which is not that common since he is from Palmeiras, and Palmeiras is not a club well regarded by most media outlets (unlike Corinthians and Flamengo, for instance).

He is seem as a much more mature player (despite his age) than Neymar, both in and out of the field.

£27 mill haha daylight robbery got to be the best bargain buy ever.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. Lol

But we (Palmeiras) had to renew his contract around 2014 with a relatively low fine because our club was at a terrible financial situation, so we couldnt afford to negotiate a higher contract fine with him. Would have liked to keep him a little longer, but still very happy that he gave us two important titles in the 2 seasons he spent with our pro Team.

What's crazy is that in my opinion if Jesus was exactly as good as he is, but 27 years old instead of his actual age we'd be praising him to the heavens.

And then you realize he's only 20. Mad.
Yes! I'm a grown man. I could be his father yet this lad is so good I had to get his name printed on the back of my home shirt.

Am I embarrassed or regret it? Not one bit. :)

Our best games are when Gabby leads the line with Sane and Sterling. Last season he had a crazy winning streak untill he broke his foot.

This year we struggled with the 'twin-9s' and we are back in crazy form with Gabby leading the line again. Aguero is a great solo artist, but maybe this time he better wait a bit more to put him back. There will be plenty of games where Aguero might win 1-0, but he never does one touch link-up, so we never think in terms of counterfactuals : Yes we won with Aguero goal, but Aguero's style of play creates a bias that he's saving us, but in fact his lack of link up play un-creates the chances that we would have have if Aguero wasn't on the pitch. Does it make sense? Its hard to put into words what im trying to convey here.

Like, if Aguero speeds up the tempo of a play, with a backheel to a penetrating Sane, instead of controlling the ball always and slowing down the play, he might squander 3 or 4 great penetrations, but these don't "count" in the eyes of the fans as squandered opportunity. But in the 5th time he slows the play down, he manages to succesfully dribble the CB and score. We create less chances but we don't "account" for them, because they never actually happened. But we all come out of the game thinking "Wow Aguero saved us again"

Our best games are when Gabby leads the line with Sane and Sterling. Last season he had a crazy winning streak untill he broke his foot.

This year we struggled with the 'twin-9s' and we are back in crazy form with Gabby leading the line again. Aguero is a great solo artist, but maybe this time he better wait a bit more to put him back. There will be plenty of games where Aguero might win 1-0, but he never does one touch link-up, so we never think in terms of counterfactuals : Yes we won with Aguero goal, but Aguero's style of play creates a bias that he's saving us, but in fact his lack of link up play un-creates the chances that we would have have if Aguero wasn't on the pitch. Does it make sense? Its hard to put into words what im trying to convey here.

Like, if Aguero speeds up the tempo of a play, with a backheel to a penetrating Sane, instead of controlling the ball always and slowing down the play, he might squander 3 or 4 great penetrations, but these don't "count" in the eyes of the fans as squandered opportunity. But in the 5th time he slows the play down, he manages to succesfully dribble the CB and score. We create less chances but we don't "account" for them, because they never actually happened. But we all come out of the game thinking "Wow Aguero saved us again"
You haven’t watched Aguero very carefully this season have you?

I understand what you’re saying. GJ is better at linkup and doing the smaller things. Serg has improved leaps and bounds at it this year like Pablo hinted at though. It’s a nice problem to have. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about Aguero taking minutes from him anytime soon. Let’s let Pep figure out this amazing problem ;-)

He's not totally wrong. Our system favours a solo striker and it is definitely the case that Aguero is better in a two. Plus Jesus has particularly excellent link up play.

Saying that, Aguero has a certain level of ability that if you can find a way to shoehorn him in then you probably should. He's our best player on his day I think.

He's not totally wrong. Our system favours a solo striker and it is definitely the case that Aguero is better in a two. Plus Jesus has particularly excellent link up play.

Saying that, Aguero has a certain level of ability that if you can find a way to shoehorn him in then you probably should. He's our best player on his day I think.

He's right there is a big difference in the team with Kun up top as opposed to Jesus, don't agree with anything else he said though.

It feels like the team as a whole plays more fluidly with Jesus in it. I particularly feel he gets the midfielders running ahead of him better and contributing to goals, a goal can come from any of the 3 midfielders or 3 forwards could score, and sometimes the fullbacks too when Jesus is leading the line.

With Sergio I think it's a lot more traditional 433 - He's the focal point up top, and play tends to move towards him ultimately, either from the wings or the 2 midfielders, where he'll either finish or play the final pass to the guys following in.

However, I don't think the team is necessarily worse like that - we can just as easily play with him as that guy because he's improved his all-round play so much and has brought back the ridiculous scoring rate to go with it. Part of the reason our attack focuses on him is because he's on fire right now. We might still have beaten Stoke 7-2 with Sergio there, the only difference is I think he'd have got 3 or 4 of the goals, we wouldn't have had 6 scorers.

It's an incredible position to be in, unique in world football IMO, and there's really no wrong choice when Pep is deciding. It's just slightly different styles of playing, both of them should get 30+ goals comfortably in all competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.