Gabriel Jesus - 2017 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest surprise is that he didn't come in as Jesus Big Bollocks. Instead, he has helped lift the game of Sergio by showing him that work rate without the ball is part and parcel of being a world class attacker. To think this lad came in mid season, after a full (Championship winning!) season in South American, quick holiday, started flying, got difficult injury, healed very quickly and has lit up the team with his pace, intelligence and finishing.

What's funny to me is that it feels like the Brazil center forward has come into the Premier League, played brilliantly and worked like a slave, yet still seems to be operating under the radar?! Had he been at any other of the Top 6 teams, it seems like he would be plastered everywhere. Very, very glad he is doing well and staying tranquilo!

Don't be confused, i'm not commenting on his performances here to date.

I expect him to be inconsistent because he's just turned 20 and i don't think he's especially mature yet.

The thing is he is inconsistent over a game. He does tend to fade in and out, but much like KDB he finds a way to score/assist even if he's not having the best game.

His work ethic also means he's constantly involved so even if he's not getting everything right in the final third he's playing well in terms of tracking back, build up play and pressing.

I don't think being on the wing suited him today, his performances in the middle were definitely more eye catching, but even then he's got a goal and an assist.

What I love, and it may be the result of him growing up Neymar's shadow, is for someone who's the next big thing, comes with the hype, the following and is coming in to be the new guy, he has been utterly selfless on the pitch and has given his all for the team and in the process his all to show Kun that they can play together and make the most of playing together.

I think so many "next big things" could come on and hog the limelight and be all about them, yet his selflessness and team ethic could actually help (in part) convince Kun to stay.

What I love, and it may be the result of him growing up Neymar's shadow, is for someone who's the next big thing, comes with the hype, the following and is coming in to be the new guy, he has been utterly selfless on the pitch and has given his all for the team and in the process his all to show Kun that they can play together and make the most of playing together.

I think so many "next big things" could come on and hog the limelight and be all about them, yet his selflessness and team ethic could actually help (in part) convince Kun to stay.
Agree with every word

I understand the reservation. This one is special though. Dream signing for me. I tend to get a little defensive for this one :)
If he goes through a bad patch i'll be one of the first defending him, because it's what i expect with all young players, no matter how good they are.

The thing is he is inconsistent over a game. He does tend to fade in and out, but much like KDB he finds a way to score/assist even if he's not having the best game.

His work ethic also means he's constantly involved so even if he's not getting everything right in the final third he's playing well in terms of tracking back, build up play and pressing.

I don't think being on the wing suited him today, his performances in the middle were definitely more eye catching, but even then he's got a goal and an assist.
I agree, one of the most exciting things for me is i don't think we've actually seen what he can really do so far.

Great post.

If he goes through a bad patch i'll be one of the first defending him, because it's what i expect with all young players, no matter how good they are.

I agree, one of the most exciting things for me is i don't think we've actually seen what he can really do so far.

Thumbs up. Exciting times. The worry was would Kun adapt and could they play together. I think that's settled now. : )!!!

He's gonna be a star. Has everything in his game you would want from an attacker and I have absolute faith that he can get 20+ goals from any of the attacking positions next season as long as he stays fit.

Gabriel Jesus on adjusting to life in England. "I thought it would be harder. It hasn't been easy, for sure, I changed my life completely."

Gabriel Jesus: "But I'll never complain about it. I'm grateful for being here, realising a dream, playing in Europe." [ESPN Brasil]

Echoing some sentiments here, but yeah he does look unsuited on the wing you can tell his instinct is to always drop deep to get the ball, turn and run at the defense and play 1-2s. I think he could also work as the LS in a two striker system (like 442) as well.

If Sane needs rest next season (which of course he does) we shouldn't forget that Raz can definitely play LW, while RW is his best position him and Sane have often switched sides in games and most of sterlings goals come from the left side of the pitch (from my recollection, might be wrong). So for example if our wingers next season are Sane, Sterling and Roberts some kind of triple rotation system could be in place like this:

1st game: LW: Sane, RW: Sterling
2nd game: LW: Sterling, RW: Roberts
3rd game: LW: Sane, RW: Roberts

You can rotate with 3 players pretty easily and they'd each get alot of games (66% of like I think 60 games in a season, so about 40 games).

Also, I think it wouldn't be so bad if Sancho played a few games LW against lesser opposition, as he seems physically suited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.