Gael Clichy - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whereas Pep clearly sees Kolarov as some kind of deep lying Quarter Back who can ping those loopy floating long passes to the right wing, (plus he wins more headers than Stones and Ottamendi), our opponents definitely target Clichy as a weakness, not just with those high diagonal balls, but also when City are in possession (Everton's 1st goal being a classic example)

That was a shockingly half-arsed challenge that led to their goal, he seems to have a really bad error now in almost every game. He did make a couple of good interceptions in the first half but it seems as though as soon as he's put under any sustained pressure he can no longer handle it.

Clichy is horrible. A complete liability. Looks like he is going to give the ball away every time he gets it.

Hes been on a gradual decline. At fault for so many goals this season. Hopefully never starts again.

When Clichy plays I always think let's play Kolarov there he is not that bad, then when a Kolarov plays I think the same about Clichy.

Back 3 with wing backs Sane and Sterling

I'd experiment with Delph there. Clichy seems incapable of tackling these days and is useless in possession. He's also garbage in the air, he was beaten to a header by Wayne Routledge today for god sake.

Off the top of my head I can think of the Lukaku goal at home and the Walker cross last week where he's got it completely wrong and it's contributed to us dropping points in narrow games. It's a shame as he has been a cracking piece of business for the £7million that we paid for him but he's a shadow of the player we signed and is actually in danger of costing us points on his own now.

just play Delph over there. couldn't do any worse.

and whoever asking Sterling and Sane playing as wing backs, are completely clueless.

Agree, I'd play Delph as a LB just to see if it's a better option. The one thing we do know is Delph is better on the ball. In a team with so much possession that is more important than to me than any of the advantages Clichy might have defensewise. I do feel for Clichy though as he is a top class professional and his attitude is spot on, like Zabaleta in a way. Never complaining and always gives his full. It's just that he doesn't feel comfortable on the ball in a defence that plays high up field. He simply can't make the step up.

Left back is our soft spot, it's commonly known. Pep must be aware too.

Now Clichy can't play any match. And he shouldn't play vs top sides IMO.
Kolarov isn't fast enough as a left back, but could play there vs top sides if he stays back and just covers his man.
But Kolarov is far better as CB. And again also Kola can't play any match, switching between CB and LB.

Pep needs to come up with an alternative.
Maybe we'll see Sagna switch over to LB and that's why Pep tried to put Dinho to right back vs Bournemouth.
Strange enough Pep makes experiments on right back when there's trouble on left back. Why?

And yes, Delph is a lefty too and we have enough midfielders. I hope Pep is testing that position in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.