Gael Clichy - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clichy gets unfair criticism in my opinion. As far as the defending part of a defenders job he's no better or worse than most of the others, sure he doesn't have the range of passing of Kolarov but one thing that's overlooked is he is the only one of our backline that has any pace. The defence works as a unit and its all the chopping and changing that is really the problem. Its time to stick to regular backline. Its no coincidence that last year Leicester and this year Chelsea play the same defenders week in week out.

Clichy gets unfair criticism in my opinion. As far as the defending part of a defenders job he's no better or worse than most of the others...
You must be joking mate.

Its time to stick to regular backline.
So, what do you say is Pep's regular backline then?

Its no coincidence that last year Leicester and this year Chelsea play the same defenders week in week out.
Maybe it's no coincidence as well both teams didn't have European midweek matches. You missed that?

Clichy was good in times when we needed a full back working up and down the line and going forward for sharp crosses.
System has changed mate. We don't need pure pace anymore. We are developing into a system where we need high passing accuracy and smart positioning. The offensive job is done by world class wingers.

Clichy has to work harder defensively and needs to be more concentrated and confident to improve his passing accuracy. I like him much but his time will be over come June as he won't get a new contract.

But until then: COME ON CLICHY, put in a shift and fight for your position!

He's reminding me more and more of Demichelis and how his form fell off a cliff the last 12 months. He's struggled in patches for a couple of seasons but this one definitely has the feeling of one too many.
Good solid servant overall for money spent and job done but his time here is done.

You are right, he's been a good solid, professional for us. He does seem to be going backwards now though and I feel he his an error in him every game.

Massively the weak link yesterday. Cannot fathom how we didn't sign two full backs this window.

Kolarov is proving himself as a centre half now so I'm happy for him to stay but Clichy and Zaba (sorry to say) need a replacement each if we're to kick on. Sagna won't last forever too.

Most of us did expect Clichy vs Hudds, sharing the work load against a lower side. But Kola had to play again on LB.

As Pep stated everyone to be fit, that is a true desaster for Clichy. No faith in him, even vs Huddersfield. Wow.

Or: Pep gave him a rest as a safe starter vs Monaco!?
But I think it's more probable Pep has really dropped him, after playing Dinho on LB.

Most of us did expect Clichy vs Hudds, sharing the work load against a lower side. But Kola had to play again on LB.

As Pep stated everyone to be fit, that is a true desaster for Clichy. No faith in him, even vs Huddersfield. Wow.

Or: Pep gave him a rest as a safe starter vs Monaco!?
But I think it's more probable Pep has really dropped him, after playing Dinho on LB.
He said that Clichy had a small injury problem as well as Kompany. I'm sure he would have been a starter otherwise.

This thread deserves a bit of a bump. He was brilliant I thought in possession and finding spaces/picking up the correct position when we had the ball. Obviously the fact he didn't have to defend much helped. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.