Gael Clichy - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst he didn't have a great game, it must be hard for all the defenders who never play more than 1 game in a row before the system or personnel are changed.

Clichy has always suffered this. His game is based largely on anticipation. He gets better with games. He's never been any good coming in and out of the side.
It won't happen, but I'd give him 3-4 games in a row. I think he'd get much sharper. He's no longer good enough but he's not being used well either.
Much of his defending is quality, some woeful. But for me he gets better with a consistent run.

No excuse for being knocked over like he was a 7st weakling

Got knocked off the ball by a much bigger and stronger Amrabat. Literally two minutes later Gael makes up for it and puts a strong challenge in on him which starts off the play for our second goal (although I'm not sure how much credit he can take for that).

Like I said, not exactly a phenomenal performance but at least we saw flashes of his old self.

In fairness I thought he looked very hesitant to commit to tackles and interceptions last night in the first half which is very unlike Clichy. He needs replacing but he's still better than the traffic cone that is Kolarov.

He is? Clichy better than Kolarov? Amazing. Just amazing.
And Pep must be completely blind than?

Got knocked off the ball by a much bigger and stronger Amrabat. Literally two minutes later Gael makes up for it and puts a strong challenge in on him which starts off the play for our second goal (although I'm not sure how much credit he can take for that).

Like I said, not exactly a phenomenal performance but at least we saw flashes of his old self.
Agreed!
Haters are like vultures. Give them one opportunity and they dive right in.

Kolarov is the worst defender at the club. His positioning, awareness, tracking of runners, ability to close down and block shots/crosses and his sheer lack of pace and agility leave us woefully exposed against anyone who wants to counter attack. He's not the only problem but he's hardly helping. The only reason he's in the team is because we need his aerial ability until Pep can bring in a centre half or two now he understands the physicality he's going to come up against in English football.

Main difference is pace - Clichy above Kolarov at left back is a must against Arsenal given the pace of Walcott and Sanchez plus the passing ability of Ozil. I would also reinstate Stones as a tough game could be the making of him as long as he plays in a back four!

Main difference is pace - Clichy above Kolarov at left back is a must against Arsenal given the pace of Walcott and Sanchez plus the passing ability of Ozil. I would also reinstate Stones as a tough game could be the making of him as long as he plays in a back four!

Good performance vs Watford, very good vs Arsenal again.
Allez Gaël!

Just for the records, as many on here tend to have a short memory when they need to find a scapegoat when City lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.