Gambling Addiction

While researching an article last year I found a picture of Clattenbent arguing with Pab Zab. He'd just given that penalty against Sterling (Spuds home last season) and there was an advert for a betting company on the second tier ticker. Summed it up really.

What are the odds (pun intended) that the unnamed "British player" is a jock playing for a club owned and sponsored by a betting firm?

And where's the PFA in all this. What are they doing to educate young lads who are getting paid thousands and have too much time on their hands.

I don't gamble other than the odd bet with a pal on the derby or relative position end of season, usually for a spliff per goal/point.
Having said that I feel a lot of sympathy for a young player of say 21 on thousands of pounds a week. Encouraged not to go out partying, and banned from all the physical vices ( alcohol etc). Must be quite a boring life sometimes before they hit the big time.

I don't gamble other than the odd bet with a pal on the derby or relative position end of season, usually for a spliff per goal/point.
Having said that I feel a lot of sympathy for a young player of say 21 on thousands of pounds a week. Encouraged not to go out partying, and banned from all the physical vices ( alcohol etc). Must be quite a boring life sometimes before they hit the big time.

I don't, these kids have enough cash do all sorts of things most people can only dream of. It is a choice and if they chose to spend there time and money gambling then that is down to them.

I don't, these kids have enough cash do all sorts of things most people can only dream of. It is a choice and if they chose to spend there time and money gambling then that is down to them.
I understand your argument and agree to a point but it must be hard when they are young and on the cusp of making first team appearances. I imagine most have moved/drifted away from their original mates and with the pressure on making the team their opportunities to go out and enjoy life are curtailed. I may be wrong but I am just picturing a young lad sat in his pad/digs possibly missing his family and it's just so easy to throw a few quid at whatever sport takes your fancy.
I do agree it's about self control, but how much did you have at that age?

I understand your argument and agree to a point but it must be hard when they are young and on the cusp of making first team appearances. I imagine most have moved/drifted away from their original mates and with the pressure on making the team their opportunities to go out and enjoy life are curtailed. I may be wrong but I am just picturing a young lad sat in his pad/digs possibly missing his family and it's just so easy to throw a few quid at whatever sport takes your fancy.
I do agree it's about self control, but how much did you have at that age?

If i had say £1k a week at 18 - 19 yo I think i would have struggled on. I worked weekends for around £50 at that age, i thought i was lucky!

If i had say £1k a week at 18 - 19 yo I think i would have struggled on. I worked weekends for around £50 at that age, i thought i was lucky!
Yeah but, 1k a week and not allowed to go out boozing, even pulling birds could lead to kiss and tells in the paper.
Don't get me wrong, I have little sympathy for the millionaire players lifestyle. I just feel it's probably not all its cracked up to be for the sort of young player I mentioned.
Not arguing with you as I respect you as a sensible poster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.