Game of Thrones

Sadly I have to agree with some of the other comments regarding the writing; it's definitely take a downturn since the show overtook the books (and I've never read the books, so I'm not one of those 'book is better' moaners).

It just seems that things are now being made very obvious and spelled out. First there was Sam's 'discovery' of dragon glass at Dragonstone, made after Stannis plainly told him it was there in Season 5. Then there was Davos saying to Jon "You told me fire kill white walkers. What breathes fire?". This kind of thing used to be much more subtle in earlier seasons, allowing the viewer to piece things together, but now it's just laid out there in the most obvious ways; as if neither Jon Snow nor the audience couldn't have worked this out! That dragon-killing crossbow also seems very convenient, like he just pulled it out from his own backside. 'Deus ex machina' like that are sure signs of bad writing.

But even with that dip, it's still a good show and probably the only thing on TV I look forward to; but it just feels like it's lost something and is relying too much on big battles and set pieces, rather than clever plot and dialogue - even Tyrion now speaks like he's in a bad soap opera. And there's too much fan service going on now (the internet decides it loves Lady Mormont, so now she's delivering a killer line in every episode); someone popular needs to have something bad happen to them soon!

On a side note, I have a little theory about where the show is going:

I think there are only three genuine 'heroes' in the story, by which I mean people who are fully competent and have good intentions to go with their skills: Tyrion, Varys and Sam. Dany is close to madness and Jon is woefully stupid at times; everyone else is either very skilled or very noble, but not both.

I think Tyrion might be the promised prince as I think he is also a Targaryen: Tywin hated him and one of the Targaryen's allegedly had a thing with his mother; the prophecy says that the resurrected Azhor (or whatever he was killed) will kill a family member, which Tyrion has done twice; and he can tame the dragons.

I also think that Sam is basically the incarnation of George R R Martin; chubby, a nerd but book-smart and kind. I think the author created the character to represent himself and hence why I think the story will finish with Sam as one of the real heroes.

You can tell it's got TV writers now instead of book writers from how pathetically they've killed off three entire families in about 10 minutes each, after however many hours of building up the characters and potential stories. The Freys, the Tyrells and now the Martells have all just been fucked off because they were making the story confusing and they need to tie it all up in a neat bow by the end of this series. No subtlety, no larger point in their demise, no even particularly interesting moments, just fucked off in one fail swoop.

It's also pretty much just becoming a weird girl power show, with John Snow pretty much the only male character of note left standing. When I read the books I never got that feeling at all, but in the show it seems to be constantly rammed down your throat about how important it is that all the leaders are women. Very odd.

I'll watch it to the end just because I've come this far, but I know I'm going to be disappointed. It's lost all the unpredictability and subtlety of the books (which I guess was always going to happen as TV gets stars and you've got to keep them alive, whereas in the books he gladly just kills off anyone he wants, keeping you on your toes)

Sadly I have to agree with some of the other comments regarding the writing; it's definitely take a downturn since the show overtook the books (and I've never read the books, so I'm not one of those 'book is better' moaners).

It just seems that things are now being made very obvious and spelled out. First there was Sam's 'discovery' of dragon glass at Dragonstone, made after Stannis plainly told him it was there in Season 5. Then there was Davos saying to Jon "You told me fire kill white walkers. What breathes fire?". This kind of thing used to be much more subtle in earlier seasons, allowing the viewer to piece things together, but now it's just laid out there in the most obvious ways; as if neither Jon Snow nor the audience couldn't have worked this out! That dragon-killing crossbow also seems very convenient, like he just pulled it out from his own backside. 'Deus ex machina' like that are sure signs of bad writing.

But even with that dip, it's still a good show and probably the only thing on TV I look forward to; but it just feels like it's lost something and is relying too much on big battles and set pieces, rather than clever plot and dialogue - even Tyrion now speaks like he's in a bad soap opera. And there's too much fan service going on now (the internet decides it loves Lady Mormont, so now she's delivering a killer line in every episode); someone popular needs to have something bad happen to them soon!

On a side note, I have a little theory about where the show is going:

I think there are only three genuine 'heroes' in the story, by which I mean people who are fully competent and have good intentions to go with their skills: Tyrion, Varys and Sam. Dany is close to madness and Jon is woefully stupid at times; everyone else is either very skilled or very noble, but not both.

I think Tyrion might be the promised prince as I think he is also a Targaryen: Tywin hated him and one of the Targaryen's allegedly had a thing with his mother; the prophecy says that the resurrected Azhor (or whatever he was killed) will kill a family member, which Tyrion has done twice; and he can tame the dragons.

I also think that Sam is basically the incarnation of George R R Martin; chubby, a nerd but book-smart and kind. I think the author created the character to represent himself and hence why I think the story will finish with Sam as one of the real heroes.
Spot on. Pretty much whatsapps my mates on our GoT thread same thing almost word for word. They agreed shoe has lost a certain something something but still brst thing on TV by a westrosi mile

Last night was the worst episode I can remember. I didn't think twice about there being 3/4 women in power, and I'll overlook some sharp practice in terms of plotting, exposition and even going over old ground again....but sheesh, the dialogue and performances stank. You are right that it is now utterly predictable, and repetitive. Oh, which Brit >40 male actor have they found to be a temporary block in the road that no-one would miss in the slightest?

It doesn't trust the audience any more. It doesn't trust the story or it's ability to tell a story without saying everything half a dozen times.

Time the stop playing nice danny.

another decent episode

though

bran to sansa he can see her wedding night any time to show his abilities was not the first thing I would be telling my sister on my first day back with her.

And is eurons fleet full of speedboats as he gets across that sea pretty quilck.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.