Gardening Thread

johnny on the spot

Well, it's miserable old January, so not much happening here at chez jots, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling anyway.

The £17 ALDI incinerators's been a wonderful buy and we've been tidying up a lot, of course the ashes will all be spread back onto the beds.. I thought I'd go early on the apple and pear trees and have pruned them already but I'm hanging fire get on the buddleia til mid Feb at least. The herbs have all survived beautifully, but there's little else looking lively aside from the odd poppy and hebe.

Professionally it's also tidy up time, but we're coppicing aplenty and willow planting in a number of schools. We've also just had the go ahead to lead a group of church volunteers to revamp their memorial gardens following a juicy grant. We're also working on a couple of hard landscaping projects in spite of the shitty weather.

All in all, let's get it on for a bountiful 2015.

My Aldi incinerator didn't last the summer so good luck to you with yours.

We had a bumper year last year for fruit - blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and apples in abundance. The pear trees also began to produce fruit so we are hoping for more this year.

Still have half a mind t purchase a cider press.

Vegetable wise not so successful - pototoes aplenty but not a lot else apart from courgettes by the truckload.

Best of luck to everyone.

2014 was considered a mast year, when top fruit and nuts all seem to go bananas, supposedly ahead of a harsh winter, which never quite seemed to transpire. My guess is that after this cold snap passes we'll see a repeat of last year and a mild spring allowing underplants like garlic mustard (a great forage crop caught young) explode. Whatever happens, I'm well looking forward to it. Heard my first woodpecker of the year this week. Magical.

Looking forwsrd to my first proper Summer in this house. Started a few bits off today. Flowers mainly but might start some tomatoes next week.

We have four bird boxes and only one ever gets used. Every year Blue tits in there like clockwork . They have been checking it out today which I thought was a little early.

Pond frozen and the Camelia has buds on it.

Rearranging a few things this year, same amount of potatoes, carrots in the ground alongside replacing the pumpkins which, although great to try and grow, are a fucking mad plant and spread everywhere, more toms in hanging baskets (they did really well last year) less mint! More peppers and I'm building a custom shed. Room for a comfy chair and shelves. Sorted.

Gardening? FFS! I'd rather talk about origami than this shit.

Just moved house, so gone from 3 manicured lawns, hedges and flower beds to a terraced house yard with space for about 6 plants! I can't wait to get planning what to do with it!

Thinking some lavender, topiary and solar LED lights!

My gas bbq has also rotted so will be putting this on a brick base at some point too!

Why does my coriander keep dying?!?! I have other herbs and they are all going strong...the coriander has died twice. Maybe the Australian sun is too hot for it? Is watering it once a day too much? It's my favourite herb and the only one that won't fucking grow!

Getting our first snowdrops and lawn daisies here in northern England after a very sunny January.

Weeded out the ubiquitous creeping buttercup from the annual veg beds and smashed up some old terracotta pots for container drainage .

Just a slight hint of Spring in the air and I absolutely love it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.