Garry Cook on the Take over..

That said, I can actually understand DD's point regarding Cook being one of the main reasons for the takeover.

I outright agree with him, and you. In fact I think the people disagreeing with him in this thread probably agree with that larger point.

You don't spend £200m on a company because you like the CEO. You buy it because it fits your goals and you think can provide good value for money above your other targets. If Newcastle were a better financial prospect but they really loved Cook then as you pointed out there would be nothing stopping them from buying Newcastle and appointing Cook.

They bought City because of a multitude of reasons and whilst Khaldoon and others probably really rated Cook, it seems foolhardy to assume that he was the sole or even a major reason that the takeover happened say, in front of the fact that we had excellent relations with the local council and had a stadium that was only 6 years old.

City can value Cook, and value his contribution to the takeover. Doesn't mean the reason they bought the club is because he is in that role, but because he did a great job in that role selling all the advantages of buying City in the first place.

Just seems to be a missed step with some people on here.

I would just like to clear up a point - I've never said they bought MCFC because of Cook as an individual. That would be ludicrous, but they do say that Cook was the most impressive element of their takeover discussions. If you want to know why they bought MCFC then it's all in Manchester The City Years. There's some stuff early on, but most of it occurs around pages 536-540. Borrow it from a library, or download it as a kindle. Cook was the man who 'sold' what City was, is, and could be in those meetings. No one else did that at any other club. Was City unique? Yes, because of all those points about land, stadium, heritage, support and United, and it's highly possible they'd have bought City without Cook. But Cook added something else and his continued active involvement proved that for the following 3 years.

Made mistakes but got the important stuff (helping sell the club and then transfers) spot on.

If I ever met him I'd be sure to thank him, that's for sure.

City can value Cook, and value his contribution to the takeover. Doesn't mean the reason they bought the club is because he is in that role, but because he did a great job in that role selling all the advantages of buying City in the first place.

Just seems to be a missed step with some people on here.

Yep. Although not so much a missed step, more like a yawning chasm. Cook could have done a laser light show presentation to sell the merits of Macclesfield Town as major European force and I doubt if he would have got past the first 5 minutes. As Gary's says there were some unique selling points (although Everton ticked some of the same boxes) but someone had to step up and map out these advantages and provide a blueprint for going forward and ensure it made commercial and financial sense. In short someone had to make the sale and that is what Cook did. And with a gun to his head given the situation at the time.

I'm not a huge Cook fan and was quite critical of him at times when he was here - sometimes wrongly as it turned out - but the fact remains it was Cook who closed the deal and thank fuck he did.

Everything else is just fucking opinion.

Would not want to point a finger at any posters on here, but it's funny when you dislike someone or something it can cloud your judgement a little....

Just imagine if he had succeeded in buying Kaka for £120m or whatever it was. Jesus, Milan "bottling it" is probably the luckest thing to ever happen to the club

I judge people as I find them Bigga and having had to deal with Mackintosh, his predecessor, there was a man who was a chancer and a liar. Only interested in what he could do for himself rather than the club or the fans. He even lied to the Stock Market and Takeover Panel, such was his desire to stay on the gravy train. #

Then I met Cook and we had a good chat. He struck me as someone who genuinely cared about us fans and about the club. He did a lot behind the scenes to make the club better and quietly did a lot for individuals. I wouldn't deny he could be a bit crass at times but he got things done and i can tell you that the sale to ADUG was not an easy one, as you seem to think. Shinawatra may had had friends in the UAE but they were casting their net a bit wider than just us and Thaksin nearly screwed the whole thing up rather than facilitated it. Cook did an awful lot to seal that deal and whether you like it or not, that's the way it was.

And I should point out that his mistake was hitting "Reply All" on an email to Marwood rather than "Reply". We've all done it but he cooked his goose when he lied about it. People who think like you do about Cook aren't ever going to see it like I'm never going to see anything good about Mackintosh.
Interesting to hear your views on Mackintosh PB. I had the misfortune of spending a couple of days with him at a music festival (long story from back in the days when I had a lot more connections at City than I do now). He spent a lot of his time on his phone trying to negotiate a deal for Bernardo Corradi. He then spent the rest of his time delightedly telling us how much money he was personally going to make as part of the transfer with his 'negotiation fee'. Shameless t**t.

I have noticed since he's left the way the fans are treated has steadily deteriorated. I felt like a revenue generating unit not a supporter at times last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.