Garry Cook takes role at Wigan Athletic

Wigan fan here.

Was wondering if any City fans can give an idea on how Garry Cook's time at the club was from your perspective? Was it considered a success or not? Did he connect well with fans and improve the club off the pitch?

I ask this because according to the media we are on the verge on being taken over by people from the Far East. Garry Cook who was brought in as a "non executive director" in summer, sourced these potential new owners and will apparently be take charge in what I'm guessing will be a CEO role similar to the one he held at City. Should we be worried about that?

Thanks for any helpful responses. I'd wish you good luck for the rest of the season, but you don't really need it.

Wigan fan here.

Was wondering if any City fans can give an idea on how Garry Cook's time at the club was from your perspective? Was it considered a success or not? Did he connect well with fans and improve the club off the pitch?

I ask this because according to the media we are on the verge on being taken over by people from the Far East. Garry Cook who was brought in as a "non executive director" in summer, sourced these potential new owners and will apparently be take charge in what I'm guessing will be a CEO role similar to the one he held at City. Should we be worried about that?

Thanks for any helpful responses. I'd wish you good luck for the rest of the season, but you don't really need it.

No you shouldn’t be worried, Gary Cook did a very good job for us.

His mistakes were that he kept making personal gaffes including the one that ended his time at City, if you recall the leaked text about Onuoha’s terminally ill mother.

He also didn’t handle the Hughes/Mancini sacking and hiring the best either as Mancini was left out to dry in what is the most brutal opening press conferences for a new manager football has ever seen.

Although that might not have been his fault, the decision to hire Mancini was a million times the right one anyway.

Overall he got a lot of high profile deals and transfers done and took the club up a few levels.

Hypothetically if Txiki and Soriano at City now were to leave, I’d want Cook back in an instant which says it all.

I’m pretty sure some in the knows on here have said he was instrumental in our takeover too.

He’s exactly the man you want if you have got investment coming in.

Wigan fan here.

Hello I think many were sad to see him go. Did of lot of things right whilst here with a couple of mega gaffes. He will do you proud I am sure.

Good bloke, and wish him nothing but the best. Was involved with us when it was much easier for outsiders to scoff than it is now, and did a lot of positive work for us. Testimony of individual supporters who have met him that I've read elsewhere has been positive too.

Wigan fan here.

Cook was great for the club. He was a fan himself so understood how fans think and was happy to talk to us. He had his moments, with a few gaffes here & there, but you had Dave Whelan so you’ll be used to that.

He set us up as a professionally run business whereas under the previous CEO we were amateurish. We didn’t have a Finance Director, HR department or other support functions that a decently run business should have. He saw fans queuing at the ticket counters in the rain with no shelter and he had it moved inside. Good guy.

Looking back Cookie predicted a lot of what we thought was talking shite at the time.

He got the wheels turning on this juggernaut. He'll have identified wiggum a decent buyer.

Wigan fan here.

He does have knobbish tendencies, but when he arrived at City, I can remember reading that there wasn't a list of the numbers of staff and employees we had, so the place was a shambles. He got stuck in and soon organised the place to run as a business better.

When Abu Dhabi were looking for a club to invest, I think it was Leeds, Newcastle, Villa and us. Shinawatra had brokered it, Garry Cook did the sales pitch to them. He must have bought in to the fact that they were the real deal and looking for the long term project we now see.

He pitched that we were going to be cheaper than the others, all the space around the ground was available for development for additional facilities if so required and that the City council were totally on board for that.
But the best bit was he told them that you will be taking them on directly, on their own doorstep. I like to think that last bit was the clincher.
Whelan needs a Garry Cook.

Wigan fan here.

Does he still buy fans beer in the pubs on aways....great way to connect and chat footie.

I'd missed this thread first time round. Top bloke but due to being with City wasn't allowed any gaffs by the media (not condoning the email issues but I'm not sure it was sackable either).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.