Gas / Electric costs and 'smart meters'

Stoned Rose

Dry as fuck this post but it needs asking.

My current supplier has me on a tariff and it turns out I'm actually using only using about 2/3rds of the amount of fuel this tariff charges me for.

So I'm having my pants pulled down.

Tariff comes to an end at the end of March.

The tariffs they've offered me today (on the phone) are actually more costly than this one.

Done the comparison sites and none of them are lower than this new tariff I've been offered today.

The lad on the phone let slip that a 'smart meter' might be the way forward as these show your exact use and therefore they can only bill you for that regardless of whatever tariff you're on.

Anyone got any experience with these smart meters? any good? do they really lead to cheaper bills?

I've got a smart meter. It's no different than a normal one except it sends meter readings automatically.

If you're using a normal meter surely you're submitting meter readings.

I've got a smart meter. It's no different than a normal one except it sends meter readings automatically.

If you're using a normal meter surely you're submitting meter readings.

Yes mate on a monthly basis.

What they've done is charge me X under this 'tariff' but my actual usage is Y and 'should' be costing about 66% of what I've been paying.

What I'm trying to suss out is, are there any companies who just let you pay for what you use? and would one of these smart meters help with that?

had a smart meters installed about 2 months ago, after 2 weeks the gas reading was £480 for one day, rang them up and they said it was a fault
on the meter and someone would be in touch, heard nothing since and the meter is now in a drawer and not been plugged in since, waste of fucking time.
I heard that the cost of installing meters in every home was estimated to be £11billion and the consumers would be footing the bill!

Yes mate on a monthly basis.

What they've done is charge me X under this 'tariff' but my actual usage is Y and 'should' be costing about 66% of what I've been paying.

What I'm trying to suss out is, are there any companies who just let you pay for what you use? and would one of these smart meters help with that?

Not sure I understand.
Normally the energy company will estimate how much you'll use over a 12 month period, say £1200, and you'd pay £100 per month. If having submitted meter readings you used £900 worth, they will refund the overpayment. Then they should reduce the monthly repayments after that.

Every energy company I've used has always done that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.