General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. chabal

chabal

You'll make a lovely couple.

Pass on my regards to him.

2. malg

malg

I take it he's never coming back on here? No idea why he left in the first place, but he seemed a decent human being to me.

3. I will. He's apparently not getting any COK :-)

4. Don't know mate. I will ask him tomoz

5. i kne albert davy

i kne albert davy

Though me and him only occasionally agreed on here, he is a thoroughly decent chap last bumped into him in a bar in Monchengladbach . Couldn't talk him into making a BM come back alas.

6. Vic

Vic

Koffee Pot cafe here I come!

Now - arms industry: capital intensive so not that many jobs for the money poured into it.

https://www.caat.org.uk/campaigns/shelling-out

And anyone else remember the Lucas Aerospace plan that the unions came up with in the 70s to diversify their own jobs to make useful stuff rather than armaments?

And wow its over 50 years since Eisenhower's warning about the military-Industrial complex

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942244/ikes-warning-of-military-expansion-50-years-later

7. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

He knew quite a bit, but was originally not an abolitionist. He was not in favour of social and political equality for
    black people, and he opposed them having the right to vote, intermarry, or serve on juries. As the war progressed in the
    Unions favour, his views changed, but Lincoln was never a lifelong supporter of emancipation, like many believe.
    Wilberforce as an example, yes, Lincoln, only with considered judgement.

8. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

It depresses me too, but once we've done what you want, nobody is going to pick up the baton of freedom from
    war and weaponry, but plenty will eagerly step into the breach we leave. Do you think we should have no armed forces,
    as that will obviously send out a message of peace and love to the world that everyone in it, including all the murderous
    and unstable dictatorships and theocratic hellholes, will see what we've done and emulate it?
    Taking a lead, making a stand, and other worthy ideals is all well and good when the prospect of real world change
    is a possibility, but to ignore human avarice, and the fact that humans have been in conflict since humanity existed
    in the forlorn hope of stopping 'War' is unfortunately, pointless.

9. Damocles

Damocles

You mean like the type of person who changes a long term habit because of a fucking picture?

10. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

Property Development
    A picture of an evil man who will destroy this country. Plus the eggs have gone downhill since it moved.