General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. Damocles

Damocles

Maybe we should make an industry out of it then and make it legal? Pay a copper a tenner, rape a schoolgirl. We'd be loaded. Think of all the precious tax money that is going to waste over something as simple as common morality.

2. bboy

bboy

Have to say I'm loving what fatherhood has done for your posting style D.

3. Stuuuuuu

Stuuuuuu

Selling weapons to nutjobs who will use them to do terrible things is not the same as having a defence industry.

And even if it was, the "It creates jobs" argument is repugnant. After all, building the Nazi concentration camps gave people jobs, right? It was important to keep the ability to manufacture.

4. Vic

Vic

So rape would be ok if it keeps men in jobs?

5. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

Money we can't afford ....................so lets see what the money tree will deliver in the next five years

£I Billion to the DUP
    £52 Billion for HS2 (Reported to now be £20 billion over budget already and we haven't even started it yet)
    £100 Billion for Trident
    £370 million to do up Buckingham Palace (home of the richest woman on the planet)
    £5.7 billion to do up the Houses of Parliament
    £400 million (x5) to pay MP's salary and expenses

none of these expenses is paying for something we desperately need ......so where does Corbyn in charge make you uncomfortable?

6. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

Property Development
    I would be here all day.

7. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

We are the 6th richest nation in the world yet penalise those on Welfare and Disability payments. Take pensions off people who have paid into the kitty all their lives.Charge our kids for an education....

Oh and we have a sovereign currency (no one else participates) .....we print money and push it into the system (called quantitive easing).......who exactly do we owe our National debt to?

8. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

Property Development
    I don't know - but we owe it and we have a huge defecit. We don't charge kids for an education. We charge university fees - brought in by labour I believe. We can't simply say we are rich so let's just spend. Who is taking pensions off people?

9. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

Well, seeing as the argument being propounded is that we need armed forces, but must never manufacture any weapons,
    it would appear that morality is being transposed into uncertainty, and the desire to be all things to all men.
    How on earth can anyone support the notion of armed forces, but eschew the need for weaponry from their home nation,
    is beyond satire.

10. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

I think Damo's stance on such issues is that he favours not only the abolition of weapons manufacture and sale,
    but that we should also do away with the military, if my memory of previous discussions on these points is accurate.
    My apologies to him if this is not the case.