General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

So you believe everything thats told to you by a government? Please let me know who we owe this to as you are such a staunch defender of Austerity. BTW as we print money for quantitive easing why don't we print a bit more and pay off the debt?

Labour introduced university fees and capped them at a £1000 a year the Tories have now increased that to £9300 but our (yours and mine) tax manages to maintain it at NIL in Scotland .... explain to me how we can afford to do that in Scotland but can't afford to do it here in England?

The government is moving the pensionable age now to 67 and has removed pension rights in the intervening years ... bearing in mind its our contributions how are they able to do this? (Look up WASPI Women).If a private pension company tried to do this they would be in court so fast ....

2. i kne albert davy

i kne albert davy

In an ideal World I'd agree with him but sadly it's not an ideal World and never will be,I agree we should be very careful to which regimes we sell for instance I wouldn't want us to be selling high tech anti ship missiles to a Military dictatorship who have a beef with one of our allies.

3. hilts

hilts

I think you need to do a bit more research into those 3 things fella.

4. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

enlighten me then

5. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

Property Development
    Well for a start raising pension age is absolute common sense - we are living longer and can't afford to give it in future generations at 65 who may live another 20 years. Similarly back in the day only a few went to university - now it's every tom dick and Harry and I do t think it should be a god given right to free education until age 21.

You seem obsessed with who we owe it too. I don't care but we do owe it. We also pay interest on our defecit. If we didn't get it under control future generations suffer and we are not as prosperous. Seems good housekeeping to me.

6. kevin horlocks wand

kevin horlocks wand

Surely it's a better idea to give everyone free university places and a grant and housing and just pay for it with more borrowing. Those 18 to 21 year olds will thank us greatly when they are in their 30s to 50s having to pay for it all back plus interest plus fund all the aging populations pension as well.

It's called corbynomics. Give everyone what they want now to be popular and have them pay for it in 20 years time by which time Corbyn won't be around so can't take the blame when the younger generation are angry and paying for it.

7. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

Err .... you pay into a pension plan that matures at a given age ... your contributions are a % of your income ... and an anticipated pension at the end of the agreed period.... what gives anyone the right to extend the period of time you have to wait to receive the 'agreed' amount and also to extend the payments you have to make before you receive the 'agreed ' amount?

sorry you seem obsessed with paying back a debt but you don't know (and can't tell anyone) who we are paying it to ?

Get what under control ,.... refer to my original post ....

we are comfortable with paying the richest woman on earth enough to redecorate her house whilst 10,000 people sleep on the streets

8. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

Property Development
    Errrrrr....You just don't get the first point. No one assured anyone of a definitive retirement age set for ever. It is patently obvious that when retirement age was set at 65 people lived for an average of 18 months after. We now live many years more so the age rises. We are still enjoying the same number if not more years of retirement. They have the right as custodians and democratically elected government to do what is best for this and future generations. Seems a commons sense idea.

If you don't understand who we owe debt to. Google it. We pay interest on it and it is real. Ask Greece if it just a case of let's just print money forever.

The queen is far from the richest women on earth if that is who you are referring to and investing in refurbishing one of our iconic national treasures seems a good investment to me.

9. Vic

Vic

New research is that from postwar parity there is now a significant north/south divide in life expectancy so let's increase pension age for just the southern softies seeing they'll live for an extra five years.

10. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

Worsley Web : Add to this the fact that Jeremy Hunt (rhymes with) has just spent £44,000 on a new bathroom for his office.........the Tories are taking the piss mate