General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. Vic

Vic

I think you'll find that confuses life expectancy at birth with life expectancy at 65. Allowing for all those who died before pension age (ah, the good old days) if you survived to 65 to collect your pension in 1925 your average remaining life span would be about 10 years.

Even in 1909 when the pension was first paid at 70 you'd probably get five years (on average). An 80 year old then could still expect an average of more than 18 months (though chances are they had independent means to have survived to 80).

Making people work till 68 means more people will die before getting any pension, and not retiring till 68 will cut post-pension life expectancy. That's progress. Just pay the taxes.

2. Ricster

Ricster

Tory election fraud now being investigated by the police.
    Like Branson, another way of persuading people's political vote.

The last week's political news over traingate and now this from a call centre in Wales, i wonder how many thousands changed their voting intentions due to these tactics.

Some democracy we live in.

3. Blue Maverick

Blue Maverick

We are all living longer but can we all work longer ? Many of these decisions are made people sitting in their arses behind a desk and have t done a tap of manual labour in their lives, ask anyone in the building trades or laying roads etc realistically will they be able to work until they are 70. If they do they will be fucked and every single penny will be for the care home they are wheeled into as they are crippled from 52 years of hard graft.
    Is our quality of life any better now we live longer? Doesn't look it to me most people are walking round rattling from all the pills they are taking in old age, why not increase contributions rather than increase retirement age, if you haven't seen that money as it's taken at source you don't miss it. I honestly don't see the point in saving for a private pension you'll never reap the benefits it will just be used for your care, or you'll be dead within a few years, what exactly will you be doing with your £1000 a month anyway at 70? and those that don't save get it anyway, may sound selfish but if I've paid my taxes for 50 odd years and some scrote hasn't then I think I'm more than entitled to be looked after.

4. 2sheikhs

2sheikhs

So, just so I'm clear on this, we don't want to sell arms to someone who might use them on somebody weaker than they are. That means our customer base is countries that either don't want them or can't afford them.
    We don't want to cut any benefits at all and we don't think students should pay anything to obtain a degree.
    We don't want to continue with the programme that can identify and root out potential terrorists because it demonises a religious group.
    We should be reluctant to investigate horrific crimes because the heritage of the perpetrators might reveal a common denominator.
    We should continue the policy of discouraging people from driving, smoking, drinking and eating sugary foods (at the same time, praying that people don't adhere to this because of the incredible loss of tax revenue involved)

5. Len Rum

Len Rum

Gentleman
    No mate, 'we don't want to sell arms to someone' who funds groups that carry out terrorist attacks in this country.
    Capiche?

6. Len Rum

Len Rum

Gentleman
    According to Sky News tonight Mavis has stated that " she plans to fight the next General Election as leader of the Conservative Party" .
    Why the need for this statement? Did she consider fighting the next election as leader of another party and has had to clarify the situation?

7. 1.618034

She also said, multiple times, that she definitely wouldn't call an election and we know how that worked out.

She will stay until 2019 and continue to take the rap for the shambles that is Brexit because not one other of those sniveling, cowardly Tories are willing or able to stand up and "take back control" from this lame duck, so far.

There is not a chance in hell that she will "lead" them into the next election. She isn't really leading them now FFS.

Conference will be interesting...

8. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    Its because when asked previously she wouldn't commit. Obviously she has taken heart from her stirring election landslide and magnificent progress on Brexit she feels well up to repeating that level of success.

I did notice that when asked about Brexit and so on she just responded with a stock non-answer in the manner of "strong and stable government" so it looks like she would fight the next election as leader very much in the manner that she fought the last one -- because that was such a runaway success.

9. The perfect fumble

The perfect fumble

Is that a bit of that constructive ambiguity? I gather it's the new black.

10. BlueHammer85

BlueHammer85