General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Damocles, 21 Jun 2017.

1. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

Jeremy Hunt has been identified this morning as the recipient of donations totalling £32,920 from Andrew Law, who is the CEO of CAXTON ASSOCIATES who as at November 2011 owned shares in Private Healthcare companies to the value of £217,659 million.

Strange that the NHS is being ground into the dust......

2. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

OK on a personal level agreed...so Ive amended the post as the figures also include the Crown estates.

3. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

Fair enough, but I don't think that adding the Crown Estates make her the richest either.

4. Gaylord du Bois

Gaylord du Bois

Not qualified to comment
  5. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

no amendment.... but the main point of the post is why is the british taxpayer spending £100 million on a boat when we have homeless on the streets and nurses using foodbanks

http://whoownstheworld.com/about-the-book/largest-landowner/

The value of her land holding. £17,600,000,000,000 (approx)

6. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

It does seem odd certainly.

(I think you have 000 too many, by the way. The British billion is long gone!)

7. Gaylord du Bois

Gaylord du Bois

Not qualified to comment
    It's not hers.
    Does Queen Elizabeth II own 1/6 of Earth’s land?
    4 ANSWERS
    [​IMG]
    Danny Philp
    , Past Chairman of Local Branch of Monarchist League of Canada
    Answered Mar 9, 2016
    Originally Answered: How is the Queen of the United Kindgom the legal owner of one sixth of all the land on earth?

She doesn't. End of the conversation.

I suspect that what you are actually referring to is "Crown Estate"/"Crown Property".

This does NOT belong to the Monarch personally, but instead "belongs" to the Crown that the Monarch embodies.

That said, the answer to your question is that Her Majesty is Queen of 16 nations, and two of those nations are Canada and Australia. Canada is the second largest country in the world, and Australia is the sixth! That's A LOT of land!

Between Canada and Australia, there are *VAST* amounts of "unclaimed" land that are held in trust for the Crown. However, in the "real world", what this REALLY means is that it is held by the Governments of each country to do with as they see fit.

Thankfully, it has been largely decided to leave them as they are and preserve them for future generations.

So while it is incorrect to say that Her Majesty "owns" one sixth of all the land on Earth, it COULD be said that Her Majesty (that is, Her Majesty in right of each country as appropriate) holds a trust over those lands as she is the embodiment of the State.

8. inbetween

inbetween

I think your argument is a bit different to the point, you are saying we should not make arms at all let alone export them to certain countries. I was saying Corbyn would halt sales to certain countries and this would result in huge job losses. Your option to halt arms completely would put millions potentially out of work, not to mention the loss to our armed forces, the treasurer etc etc. The Germans do it, the Spanish do it, the Italians do it, the Americans do it... There just is no example of a country that does not have an arms or defence industry, we have one of the best but you want to throw that away.

This is why you have to admire Trump in some instances, at least he will put the lives of working class Americans above those in another country. It is a shame that Corbyn is not willing to stand up for British jobs because there is a massive opportunity and we have a great amount of skills to give. He is willing to pontificate about arms and put many out of these people out of work at the same time as sleeping easy on his £80k+ salary. I don't think he has any idea of the concerns of working class people, particularly people who have to actually work...

As for the livelihoods of people attacked by British arms well ask those people would they rather be living under ISIS or similar rule? You will obviously say we should never of gone into places like Iraq because that caused it but then the alternative is a totalitarian dictator murdering thousands of his own citizens, which would you prefer, which would the citizens of those country prefer? I don't think they care for our bleeding hearts or solidarity, they just want to live in peace and that is what we are offering anyway..

I don't know what you have planned for these hundreds of thousands who could be put out of work, if there was an industry open that is viable we would be doing it already. Lucas who was eventually sold to the Americans is not a great example of us doing the best for Britain really.

9. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

What on earth makes you think Trump has the welfare of ordinary working class Americans at heart? Was it his repeated assaults on their healthcare that tipped you off? Maybe it's deregulation on environmental safeguards and safety at work that swung it for you? Or the 'tax cuts' which for some middle income Americans is actually a tax increase? No I know it was telling 'ordinary' Americans in Puerto Rico that being without power and water after the hurricane was their fault.

Jeez.

10. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

Well said.
    The stupid posturing by Corbyn about interventions etc; is simply that, he is, and always has been a pacifist, and if in power will
    destroy a whole industry on the back of these beliefs. Virtually every country on earth is involved in this trade one way or another,
    yet the wide eyed idealists insist we can convert an established industry into alternatives that bear no relation to it.
    He is anti military, anti armament, and is still a CND member, so would deprive us of not only the nuclear deterrent, but also
    any conventional one.